Acrylic aquascaping

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Xtremedave67

I really like using Acrylic and the rods to do the rock scaping. from what Ive seen others do.

what thickness acrylic sheet do most recommend? and diameter rods?

is there a link or thread that explains how to go about this? (I know dumb question) there is always a thread on everything somewhere LOL

I have heard TAP plastics is a good source?

Last edited:
I don’t know, I kind of like using rock for rock scaping. I think it looks nicer then acrylic rods as rock scaping, but that’s just me.

LOL maybe I should be more clear LOL I meant to use Acrylic and rods to set rock and stabilize as well as lift off bottom of tank

i used different sizes for my rocks for the larger rocks i use 1/2" thick rod. smaller rocks i used 1/4" rods. i used pond foam in the holes and where they met for added support. i didnt lift my rocks of the bottom. hth

TAP Plastics is a great place to go...hopefully they have them up in Bellingham

No TAP plastics up here, lucky we have a 7-11 LOL kidding

fortunately I do go south alot, and I may stop at TAp in Portland ( or tacoma,lynnwood etc.... ) in 2 weeks when I am returning home froma work trip to Oregon.

and maybe check out Portland LFS's? lol

TAP is in lynnwood and kirkland.
just get a laundry list before you go and then go crazy...:D

yeah I need to do that, get several acrylic weld applicators ( heard that is essential)

1/4 -1/2 got it, does bottom acrylic need a min thickness? I assume a thickness, thick enough to weld rods in a stable way. 3/8 -1/2 inch enough?

i have 3/8" rods and plates. works great and I will definitely use it again on any future tanks.

TAP has a lot of good stuff and a decent rod selection. Their acrylic prices are pretty high though. Another TAP location is in Seattle off Mercer and East lake.

Laird plastics in south seattle has the best rod and tube selection I know of. Their prices are also better and they frequently have scrap and small rem pieces. They are located off of 4th ave south and Industrial.

I knew what you meant. I was just trying to be funny. ha ha

well hes looking for help with acrylic....i used 1/2 rod and 1/2 plate you will wanna find a 33/64 drill bit is what i found to get the best fit with acrylic(no glue needed)

Even easier yet, is to have that Jason guy fab one up to your spec. I think he does mainly 3/8" rods now, for everything, and uses 1/2" for the plates. I even heard he is cheaper than all thoes other plastic places.

Back