Acrylic DIY Tank Vids?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Toolio

Hey guys!

I would like to try to make some acrylic frag tanks myself. Does anyone know where to find or have any videos of acrylic tank construction?
I only found very few online (stoopidgoogle...)

I have read many articles about "how to" but i think it would be easier to understand if I could see it done.

Thanks in advance :)

buy some cheap acrylic from lowes/home depot order some wo#4 and just mess around with it. No matter how many vids you watch, until you experience it you wont be ready for building a frag tank. If you have a local acrylic fabricator, ask to buy some scraps, they will usually just give it to you. Then just start gluing all of it to each other until you run out.

Acryilcs

Thanks. I found a local plastics dealer here near me and did order some varieties of WeldOn. They do sell scrap, but it sounds like they don't go very cheap when I inquired over the phone.

I understand what you mean though. But it was helpful to see some coral cutting vids before I jumped in with my samurai swords.... :)

Thanks, and I will post some pics of my first attempt at a frag tank a week or two from now when the cement arrives...

I too think building my own tanks no matter what size sounds like a fun challenge, Does a Home Depot sell the acrylic that is used for tanks? All I have seen is Plexiglass/Lexon, will that work? What is the best way to cut the acrylic? I have most of the woodworking tools so I can assume that one of them will cut it. I would think either a table saw and or a router would do the trick. Thanks for any help.

Steve

Followup, Acrylic cutting

Hey Steve,

I have heard a few people mention using a table saw with the blade on backwards. Is this a good or bad idea? I have used my mitrebox to cut plastics and it always seems to chip and not make a nice finished edge..

Thanks!

I have not cut any acrylic yet, but I would think running the blade backwards would cause to much heat and it would melt it instead of cutting it. I would think just like in woodworking you would use a thin kerf blade and cut slowly. I guess I will know soon enough I hope to cut some up within a few weeks or less.

Please correct me if I am wrong about the blade direction???

Steve

Back