Acrylic sump-What acrylic to use

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dalbery

Saltwater Nut
Hello,
Once I pay for my new lights my next project will be a new sump. Dimensions will be roughly 26w x 44l x 22t. How thick of acrylic should I use? Can I get away with 3/8"? Obviously I'd like to build this as affordably as possible, Where can I find affordable (IE:Cheap) acrylic/plexiglass? I priced Tap Plastics and they were $$$$
Thanks in Advance,
Darrell

Price your acrylic and get a quote from Jason. My new sump is 45 X 20 X 20 and I couldn't buy 3/8" acrylic for what Jason built it using 1/2" material.

If your a real diy you could always find a cheap acrylic tank on Craigslist and use it for scrap acrylic.

Brian

Dalbery,

My name is Jason, and my company is Clear Fabrications, Inc. We have been in business since 2002, and I have been fabricating aquarium items since 1994. I also have been a sponsor here for as long as I can remember. I have supported the local club, as well as the stores, and aquarists with high quality, affordable custom Tanks, and Sumps.
If I can help you out in any way, please feel free to PM me or e-mail me.
Jason

Troylee doesn't have any real pertinent posts. I see he built a tank for you though :)

yeah he will bulld what ever I want lol good having friends like that thought

but for information on size and also glue needed you could of pm'd him he would of gave you staright answers for the diy if you are planning to just buy one Jason I believe is the one to talk to. here locally and also seen him post for others on the diy side to give advise. Check on any other fourm you can see all his pertinent post lol and also all his builds he as like Jason has been building tanks and also working with acrylic for yrs. it is easy to do as long as you can cut a straight line lol

You want to use cast acrylic first off, extruded has the wrong properties and absobs water. TAP is a great place to get misc accesories for acrylic work but their prices on acrylic itself is very high. 3/8 thick is fine for that size sump but you will want to use baffles in it or braces to keep the top from bowing out. Laird in south Seattle, Calsak and Port plastics in kent are the better places to buy acrylic from. Laird specializes in plexi, Calsak in chemcast (similar to plex) and asian import (much cheaper but lower quality) and Port keeps Polycast on hand (the highest quality).
TAP also has great basic acrylic working videos and guides if you follow the links and melvsreef diy website has good advise as well. (I dont care for most of his designs, but good advise there)
That being said, dont build your own sump not knowing what your doing or you wont save money. Build it for the pride of doing it yourself and learning something. It is cheaper to just have some one build it for you most times. Jason is a fine choice or I can do it for you also. You can pm me here or contact me through ReefMystique in lake stevens. I can help you or atleast advise you on what to do and who to contact. Good luck :)

Back