Add More Sand In Biocube 29

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shinv

My tank was built up one and half years ago. Now, I want to add a larger size sand in my tank, does this work?

I use the smallest size sand, like fine size. Every time I try to clean the sand, a lot of them will come out with water flow.... So I'm thinking to add a larger size sand on top of the sand bed. However, I'm worry about to get lot of alga if I do so.

Does anyone have experiences?

What ever sand you get, make sure its for saltwater aquariums first, then rinse it very good in RODI water. You should have no problems adding a little at a time over a couple weeks. Some people will remove the top layer of sand every once in a while and add new sand. Just make sure you rinse it first and do it slowly.

What ever sand you get, make sure its for saltwater aquariums first, then rinse it very good in RODI water. You should have no problems adding a little at a time over a couple weeks. Some people will remove the top layer of sand every once in a while and add new sand. Just make sure you rinse it first and do it slowly.

Thx

I saw there is a kind of sand sold in Petco, called live sand with water in the bag, does it work? Or just any dry regular sand for saltwater?

You already have a live system. I would not add that live sand to the tank. Besides your paying for live sand and your just going to rinse it all away. Your probably looking for something like CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand.

I have heard that there are some nasty bacteria live below 1/2" so be careful...

Back