Adding flow to a 40 breeder

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rainydave

Chimp in Space......
I'm looking to improve the flow in my 40 breeder. I currently have 2 Koralia 1s I was running in my BC29 and the dual return from the sump/refugium. The return pump is a Mag 7 with about 3.5' of head. So, I calculate it's pushing maybe 350 gph. The Koralias are positioned 1 per back corner pointing towards the opposite corner across the tank.

I noticed some dead spots so I dropped in an MJ1200 as a supplement until I upgrade. It is sitting in the front right corner blowing straight across the front of the tank.

I was looking at going to 2 Koralia 1050s or an MP10 (retaining one or both of the K1s for auxiliary flow).

Current inhabitants are a mix of softies and LPS (Zoa, Mushrooms, Rics, Candy Cane, Chalices, Acans, Montis), 2 Clowns, 1 Coral Beauty & a Pistol Shrimp/Watchman Goby . I am running a shallow sand bed and don't want a sandstorm.

Thoughts?

I was looking at going to 2 Koralia 1050s or an MP10 (retaining one or both of the K1s for auxiliary flow).

Current inhabitants are a mix of softies and LPS (Zoa, Mushrooms, Rics, Candy Cane, Chalices, Acans, Montis), 2 Clowns, 1 Coral Beauty & a Pistol Shrimp/Watchman Goby . I am running a shallow sand bed and don't want a sandstorm.

Thoughts?

That unfortunately is the issue with running a sandbed...Worrying about sandstorms or it absorbing some of the flow. The Koralia's aren't too pricey so I'd probably look at doing the upgrade and then see how things look from there. The Koralia's give you a nice broad gentle flow as opposed to some powerheads that just blast the heck out of one localized area so you should possibly get the coverage you are looking for with the 1050's.

Just a personal opinion...Good luck! :)

i run a gyre in a 20g with a single tunze 6045(1200gph) with a shallow sand bed and no sandstorms...
granted, it was a chore getting the rockwork to accomodate this type of flow, and yes the sand does wash away on the opposite end from the powerhead, so i simply cover that side in rock.
when i change the tank slightly or clean the powerhead i might get alittle stonger flow that disturbs a little sand but not to the extent of blowing it all away to the bottom. my other idea was to use some slightly larger heavier seafloor grade aragonite by caribsea on that end, which would move around less, but from the front it looks normal so i leave it the way it is with the fine sand.

Hey Dave, your welcome to come over and check out my flow pattern in my 75g utilyzing 2 K-3's, 1 K-nano and split return of 950gph+ into a gyre. It took alot of playing around but have no dead spots and no sandstorm.

Todd

Thanks for the feedback. Great information.

I'm leaning towards the 2 Koralias. I can put the money I save towards a better skimmer. I hope BR has them in stock when I'm down there on Saturday to pick up the frags for the grow out competition.

Todd - I'll probably take you up on that offer soon. I was too busy gawking at your corals last time I was there. I didn't notice the powerhead configuration.

The Korallia's seem to be pretty fair for the price. I've got one K2 that I've been using for several years now and its taken a beating and has kept working fine. I'd got with a the 1050 K Evolution for your needs.

Nick

Save the money and go for broke. I have a 40 breeder. I tried every combo of Koralias. I now have a MP40 on full blast, and one K1 in the far corner. It's perfect. I highly recommend it! I have SPS, LPS, and softies.

On a side note I have a Nearly brand new K2 for sale and I am going to BR tomorrow.

I ended up picking up 2 Koralia 1050s this morning. I swapped them in place of the K1s and re-directed the K1s. No sand storms and tons of flow.

So...I spoke too soon. I came back in yesterday morning and found "sand drifts" where a few of my zoa rocks used to be!

I repositioned the 1050s to the left side of the tank blowing straight across. I left one on over night. All looked good this morning. Just flipped the 2nd one on. I'll let them both go for a few hours and see how it goes.

Back