Adding LR to a new tank, skipping cycle?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbfreek

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I have a new 20G and I add, let's say 25lbs of LR from another established tank, it shouldn't have to cycle again right?
I'll be adding the LR, new sand and new SW.

There would probably be a small cycle but not too big. Just test periodically and watch for spikes. As far as adding livestock, I myself would give it a week or so at least. Take your time and go slow.

Keep the time the rock is out of water to a minium and you shouldn't have much of one if any cycle.
I transferred the contents of my 180 to holding tubs for 2 days, then into the new 240 and had no problems at all. I don't think the rock was exposed to air more than 15- 20 minutes tops

Keep the time the rock is out of water to a minium and you shouldn't have much of one if any cycle.
I transferred the contents of my 180 to holding tubs for 2 days, then into the new 240 and had no problems at all. I don't think the rock was exposed to air more than 15- 20 minutes tops

I agree with this. If the rock is already established, there should be no death at all besides maybe a few sponges....

-augustus

You shouldn't have much of a cycle if you use established rock. You can minimize that cycle even more if you use some water from your established tank to fill your 20G. You don't have to fill the entire thing with established water but if you can do 5 or 10 gallons it will make a difference.

Mike

Back