Adding one Yellow Tang or Two?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

We are getting at least one Yellow Tang this weekend. We will be putting it in a QT this time for the 6 week incubation to make sure it is pest free and it is ready for our tank. My question is is there any harm in doing two at the same time? They would both be put in the QT together and be in there for the same amount of time. What is the consensus on this?

I think they will fight. Two can be added to a display tank provided it is large enough, but I would think qt wouldn't be large enough, especially without anything in the tank for seperate territories. You'd be better off doing two seperate tanks for QT, then be prepared to possibly seperate them when they get into the main tank if they do not get along. HTh!

If you do plan on eventually adding 2 Yellow Tangs, to your display tank, you'll need to add them together. Unfortunately, if you are going to QT both of them, they'll need to be QTd at the same time, either together or in separate QT tanks. You could use egg crate, to separate them, in QT, depending on how large your QT tank is. You'll also want to put a few large PVC fittings in the QT tank, for them to hide in.

What I've seen in the past is 2 of the same would be risky, but a odd number would be better. But the size of the tank will also be a factor.
If they have enough room between them, they may tolerate each other, but then they may not.
If your determined to put 2 tangs in your tank, I'd look to go with 2 different types.

just my .02

with it only being a 70 gallon tank, I assume you are getting pretty small ones and I think you could get away with it with monitering and maybe a divider.

I'll skip the usual tang police lecture... LOL.

Eric,

<Ok, I will give a mini-tang police speech, sorry> :) :)

I dont think a 70g tank is big enough for two tangs..personally, I wouldnt do one tang unless I knew it was going into a bigger tank (120g or bigger) in a year or so.

Tangs need a lot of room to swim AND they are huge waste producers, so I hope you have a good skimmer to keep up with keeping the water clean, otherwise you may have some unwanted algae issues.

just my .02

2 in the qt tank will be ok i think best if picked from the same displaty at the store then you have a better chance of getting along for the time being. 2 small tangs in a 70 will not be an issue as yellow tangs are slow growers and by then you will have the 180 up and running. I had my yellow tang in my 29 for 4 months no issues.

I think we are actually only going to go with one. We want no further issues that can easily be avoided. I know we will have something bigger for it when it grows up too. The ones we are buying at Denny's are only about 1 1/2" long or so. Pretty small but perfect for our tank I think. I hope this helps subdue the Tang Police :D

I think one yellow and one blue hippo would be nice in that size tank. That’s probably all I’d do for the big fish in there. Skip the two yellows in a tank that size, that’s just a fight going to happen.

Back