Adding water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy post some pics once you get it set up. (if you can) I would love see the stuff you get and your setup.

Thanks
Brian

Idgy right now I am kinda conservative in my posting, but as I understand what you are saying:

1) The sand will come with live organisms snails cucumbers etc all in the same bag? If the answer to this is yes then put the sand in straight away should be fine.
2) If the answer is no and they are sending it in a seperate bag that you can not confirm came from a cycled tank then the answer is you will have to cure it first as die off will likely have occurred depending on how many hours the "live sand" has been without oxygen much the same as live rock that is shipped to you "cured" but then experiences further die off because of being left in a styrofoam box for an extended period of time.

I would expect if it is cured and submerged that to pour off "the waste water" in the bag and have fresh perparation availalbe should keep the remaining fauna alive and control how much of a nitrite or ammonia shift you see occurring. Hope I was accurate and hope this helps if I wasn't i am sure someone will chime in to tell you their method.

If you are getting something that has been out of a salt water for more than an hour or so you will need to let it CYCLE, meaning let the stuff that has died decay and the bacteria convert it, if it is something you picked up locally and it has been in salt water at there and on the way home, you should be fine. If it is mail order you need to keep it separate from your current system for four to six weeks until completes the nitrogen ammonia cycle.
Hope I was helpful, if you are new to aquariums this stuff can be a little overwhelming.

Back