Additive Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Detri

Ok I have read most of the articles found on this board and have done a few searches for Calcium additives. Most are generic threads, information and recommendations for dosing.

I have narrowed down to 3 choices, B-Ionic, Kent Marine, and Seachem.

Has anyone used these products? What do you like about them? What additives (one or two part) do you like from the product manufacturer do you like?

My main concern is Calcium and Alk additives and what I could use. I am leaning more towards Seachem or B-Ionic. But Kent is available almost everywhere.

Thanks!

Kent tends to spike the pH a bit so it's important to use it in the AM as much as possible. Of the three you mention, I would choose the ESV 2 part for it's consistancey and quality. Personally I have never been a fan of Seachem additives of any kind. They make some great products, just not in that direction.

Overall though depending on demand, your best option is kalkwasser.

Cheers
Steve

Personally, I have used seachem with much success.

It's great because it's a dry product (or atleast you can get it this way) which makes it cheaper and in my opinion less messy. You do have to mix it, so I guess it takes a bit more effort, but it's really quick.
Steve

Yea I thought about mixing my own, but, since this is my first time useing them I want to use pre-mixed so I can see the negative and positive before I try something on my own. This way I'll have a comparison. But I am willing to buy the Seachem flake or powder to try first off.

Kalkwasser...hmmm...I'll have to check it out. I thought you needed a reactor for that?

Well seeing as how things are right now I am going to be up a while anyway hahahaha.

Thanks Nikki! I really do appreciate the help.

When I used the Kent two part my alkalinity and calcium levels always seemed to drift apart from each other. I was much more happy with B-ionic, it seemed like a much higher quality and consistency than the Kent. I have also used the Seachem, but once you are mixing it anyways you might as well make a home two part at like 1/100 the cost. I am using the home made two part now and I haven't had any problems - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

I've used and sold Seachem for over a decade. I, and my numerous customers, have had great success with thier products. In fact, Seachem products are the only supplements on my retail shelves. You will not find Kent products, nor Coralife, nor any others for sale in my store.
I generally use the powdered Reef Advantage formulas, for the economic reason pondfrog stated before. The concept of saving serious money by grocery store addatives is attractive, but for some reason, I liken it to supporting internet sales versus supporting a good local store. Saving money is good. Removing money from the local economy may not be...
When using ANY addative, I strongly urge you to fractionate the doses, with more frequent additions to compensate. Manufacturers have no idea how many corals you have, much less what thier consumption rate is. On the lids of my customers Reef Builder and Reef Advantage Calcium you will invariably find abbreviations for the days of the week, alternating days. M,W,F= Reef Builder---T,Th,Sat= Reef Advantage Calcium. Sunday is for testing, to confirm appropriate measures are used, and to watch for developing trends... Log all test results as this can only help.
Oh yeah, if you think I type too much, you should hear me talk... I have abbreviated this version for the benefit of our readers!

afishyonados said:
I've used and sold Seachem for over a decade. I, and my numerous customers, have had great success with their products. In fact, Seachem products are the only supplements on my retail shelves. You will not find Kent products, nor Coralife, nor any others for sale in my store.
I generally use the powdered Reef Advantage formulas, for the economic reason pondfrog stated before. The concept of saving serious money by grocery store addatives is attractive, but for some reason, I liken it to supporting internet sales versus supporting a good local store. Saving money is good. Removing money from the local economy may not be...
When using ANY addative, I strongly urge you to fractionate the doses, with more frequent additions to compensate. Manufacturers have no idea how many corals you have, much less what thier consumption rate is. On the lids of my customers Reef Builder and Reef Advantage Calcium you will invariably find abbreviations for the days of the week, alternating days. M,W,F= Reef Builder---T,Th,Sat= Reef Advantage Calcium. Sunday is for testing, to confirm appropriate measures are used, and to watch for developing trends... Log all test results as this can only help.
Oh yeah, if you think I type too much, you should hear me talk... I have abbreviated this version for the benefit of our readers!

I under stand you point about supporting our LFS's. And i did when i bought my 180g tank,my 75g tang,my Halides,fish ,corals, ect...
but when i can buy my CaCl2 in a 50# bag(22400grams)for $15,compaired to turbo CA in a 150gram can for $10, that saves me around $1480. for corals and fish.

and Kalk 4# at $29.99,or pickling lime at 4# at $6

Sodium bicarbonate ,Seachem at $16.99 for 2#, baking soda $1.50 for 2#

most people would consider that price gouging, im not blaming the LFS's but the brand name.

I agree with the cost of these products being too high, however, when deciding on what to put in my tank, I also like to look at the grade of materials.

i agree with you Nikki. the CaCl2 that i use is 94%to 97% pure,Turbo is 77%, Baking soda is Baking soda IMO. and as far as Kalk vs. pickling lime,yes Kalk is analytical grade and pickling lime is food grade but any impurities that are in the pickling lime are good enough for me to eat,and they will fall out in the sludge in the bottom of my mixing bucket, never to be added to my tank.

Chris&Barb do you get the CaCl2 (CForce) from HD or simmilar? I have been looking into going this route myself and I am off to HD later tonight. After reading the reports I would rather put cheaper CaCl2 in my tank over the more expensive. It seems to me that the higher price of Kent Turbo gets you no more than a few extra impurities.:lol:

For the sake of being a newby I bought Kalkwasser this morning at the LFS. It has directions and I am insecure to my ability to do it right, Even though its the same thing. The same with the buffer. I bought that to. But I will definately buy the keep stuff when I feel ready.

Thanks Chris and Barb!

chris&barb said:
and as far as Kalk vs. pickling lime,yes Kalk is analytical grade and pickling lime is food grade but any impurities that are in the pickling lime are good enough for me to eat,and they will fall out in the sludge in the bottom of my mixing bucket, never to be added to my tank.

I have used both pickling lime and commercial kalk mixes...one big difference I have noted is the amount of undesolved slurry at the bottom of my bucket...the commercial mixes dissolve much more completey, leaving much less residue at the bottom. With pickling lime, this residue is full of little black specks (metals) and other stuff, where the commercial stuff tends to be free of that as well. I switched back to commercial mixes when pickling lime became unavailable at my grocery store...and if you buy your commercial kalk in bulk, the price difference really isn't all that much IMO....

MikeS

Back