additives added?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

volivier

what additives do those of you who are experienced at acropora care use? or do you use nothing and skim well instead. I added some additives vit, mag/stront. and looked like I skimmed it right back out within 24 hours. Maybe I don't need all the additives? I've been reading articles online and some people say they don't add anything but seasalt and calcium.

Valerie,
First and foremost, do you have a calcium reactor? this is the best way to keep calcium and other minerals in our reef stable enuff to care for sps such as acroporas.. I do know of some people that are sucessful with sps and only dose C-balance..

Matt

By the way what part of Kansas are you from? I live in the Seattle area but am originaly from Great Bend..

Matt

Well unless I can test for it, I dont add it. Mg very rarely, Ca pretty frequently, Alk pretty frequently. Mainly just water changes with reef crystals. I use kalk, and bionic. Depending on what I feel like using that day.

matts125 said:
Valerie,
First and foremost, do you have a calcium reactor? this is the best way to keep calcium and other minerals in our reef stable enuff to care for sps such as acroporas.. I do know of some people that are sucessful with sps and only dose C-balance..

Matt

no, I don't have a cacium reactor. I've seen some tech, and reef stuff out there for additives, please be specific with what you do. I know there are different pref. for brands, kent, etc. Some people swear by one brand or the other. Just want your opinions and what you use. Thanks.

matts125 said:
By the way what part of Kansas are you from? I live in the Seattle area but am originaly from Great Bend..

Matt

30 miles southwest of Wichita, KS rural Harper, KS

I only add what I am willing to test for. They are calcium, magnesium, and buffer. The numbers I aim for are 400ppm, 1200ppm, and 2.9 meq/L. (8.3 dKh).

HTH,
Kevin

I only add what I test for also.. in keeping sps corals thats the only way to go IMO.. I add Tech M as needed for my magnesium, I add kalk. via drip as my top off and this keeps my numbers in the 400ppm range and alk in steady at ~9dkh. In the weird off the wall chance I need to bump up these last 2 levels I use Tropic Marin BioCalcium powder. Am about to add a calcium reactor to fix that..

Water changes add everything else thats needed.

Only added, calcium magnesium and kh buffer?

Does the rest get compensated with the changes of water?
That you change percentage?

At my country the tendency is the to add of whole.

To see if little by little I go learning

All advice that you have given me have been a hit !

Greetings!

I don't have as much faith in salt contents as some do. Julian Sprung volume 3 has great info on trace element addition. My sps tank gets salifert iodine and Korallin trace element replenisher. I only dose about half the recommended dosage. Every day my tank seems to show improvement so I will continue to use these products.

Back