Adios Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ravinejk

Background: So, I have a 12 G Nano Reef with a rear sump for a skimmer and sponge filters. I have 10 lbs of live rock, 1" of sand and PC + LED lights. Livestock includes a few small fish plus acros, monitporas and polyps. Am also using reef crystals salt.

I have not been happy with the protein skimmer and don't want to add a new hang on skimmer, so I am going to try it without the skimmer and sponge filters and focus on the weekly religious water changes (10-15%) to manage bio load and replenish nutrients. I will also see if I can eliminate CoralReef A + B supplements due to the water changes. I am interested in others experiences and lessons learned going this route? I have always relied on a good skimmer for larger tanks.

035.JPG

041.JPG

I did that on a 10gal tank...went skimmerless! It worked but i prefer a skimmer on a reef tank! Id get a hydor slim skim they are on sale at marinedepot~!
It will prob fit in the back compartment! Since than though ive got a hydor skimmer and a 20L!

I ran my nano (8 & 29 gallons) without a skimmer. I made sure to keep up on my water changes.

With an increase in quality water changes, attention to feeding minimally and attention to stringent maintenance, you'll be just fine.

+1

IS that skimmer you have now removable? It looks like the sapphire. If removable you can use that chamber for a carbon bag to rest in for passive flow. That will benefit you a lot more then some tinker toy skimmer.

For best result with carbon I suggest kneading the mesh bag daily for a few seconds to keep it from packing and causing channeling.

With regular water changes with a good salt you should not have to dose anything.

Frank

+1IS that skimmer you have now removable? It looks like the sapphire. If removable you can use that chamber for a carbon bag to rest in for passive flow. That will benefit you a lot more then some tinker toy skimmer. For best result with carbon I suggest kneading the mesh bag daily for a few seconds to keep it from packing and causing channeling.With regular water changes with a good salt you should not have to dose anything. Frank
Yes, the skimmer is removable. Not sure if it's a sapphire or not, I bought the tank used. Good idea on the carbon, I'll consider that.

:C
you could of course modify that skimmer to work worth a damn....
take it out and snap some pics....

Well I took the skimmer out and modified it to hold a carbon filter. I have a RIO 200 pumping water from the bottom of the skimmer up through a carbon filter sock, over down and back up again into the last chamber where it gets pumped back into the tank. We'll see how it goes. Definitely like not having the skimmer on, the tank is super quiet now, Forgot to take pics, but will start a build thread to document and track the setup.

It will be interesting to hear how often you need to replace your carbon.

You are testing it regularly, I assume???

Back