Advice and Critique Needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spllbnd2

Hello Fellow Reefers.

I have finally finished my stand for a 65H (36w x24h x18d ) AGA tank and I would like to now build the canopy for this monster. I'd like to stay away from LED fixtures (Way to expensive for now) and T5HO (finding the right bulb combo and such is a PIA) and I am just particular about using MH (shimmer me timbers).

Here are my current thoughts for my lighting,

* Dual 175W SE using 2-Lumenarc III Mini reflectors as these are the perfect size at 14.5x14.5
* I may try and use dual T5HO for actinic supplementation. I've seen this done and I do understand that bulb life for the
T5HO will be cut short being so close to a MH bulb.
* Will be air-cooled from vents in the top as well as 2-4 fans on a controller.
* I'm leaving the possibility open to the fact that I may run a cooler later.

My questions:

1. What I'd like to know is what would the "Ideal" height be from the water surface to the MH bulb?
2. Are there any other reflectors out there with a small footprint and good reflectivity as the Lumenarcs?
3. Should I be looking a dual 150DE versus the dual 175SE?

I appreciate any comments and suggestions with this build. As I mentioned I just finished the trim work on the stand and now would like to get ideas for the canopy and start building it later this month.

Cheers,
Alex

I'll leave you all with a spy photo :D of the art project for now. I plan on doing a full build thread in the new year.

IMG_0700.jpg

The stand looks great!! :) On the lights, I kept my dual 250w metal halides 9 inches from the water on a standard 75gal and was happy with it. I've seen people with deeper tanks like you have go as little as 5 inches off of the water without having any issues. The main problem you will have with going too close to the water is water splashing on the bulb (if not protected) which isn't a good thing as I had a bulb crack on me because of this before.

Just a few points for starters to get things going here. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise and input Krish.

I'm curious if there are many people who view this forum. Maybe I should've posted this into the general forum area. Dunno.

Thanks for the advise and input Krish.

I'm curious if there are many people who view this forum. Maybe I should've posted this into the general forum area. Dunno.

Hmm...Not sure how many people actually go to the lighting forum, but the thread will show up on the main page under recent posts so it should get the views if it is kept current (bumped back to the top). :)

I just remembered another question I have.

What would a good ballast be for a 175w?

I've been looking at the IceCap ballasts but have heard that IceCap might not be a good choice because they've been having finacial issues.. So now I've been looking at the Lumatek multi-wattage 175W /250W ballast.

Any ideas or comments?

Anyone else have any ideas?

I found that I could also use the Lumenmax Elite SE reflectors but are these better than the Lumenarcs? I notice the Lumenarcs have the shiny reflectors and the Lumenmax has the hammered reflector.

Any advise or comments? maybe someone has one of these on there system already?

Cheers,
Alex

I've had really great success with the PFO ballasts. I've used two different ones on two different setups and never had any issues whatsoever with either. The dual 250w ballast I had was a bit on the large side, but the single wasn't so bad. :)

Thanks Krish. I do have an old PFO dual 175w ballast. But that thing is very heavy and isn't an electric ballast. Didn't PFO go out of business? Hard to find their stuff anymore.

Really nice looking stand!! It really depends on what your plan is for what your going to keep. WIth a tank that is only 18 inches deep your not going to need a ton. You could get away with a good set of Atincs by themselves. If you like that sparkly look a set of MHs will be the answer. Theirs not a lot of difference between 175's an 250's so most folks go with the 250's. If you went that route I would not think that you would need to pay for a high end reflector as you are going to be getting tons of photons down their anyway. As long as you have some distance between the bulb and the water I would go with stock reflectors (the $25 kind) and then get a good bend on the so they cover the front to back. Also that way its open which will help disapate the heat to, but I would imagine a fan will be needed at some point in time.

MOjo

Thanks Mojo. I thought about going with dual 250's but the heat issue is what is leaning me towards the 175's. I appreciate the ideas.

Thanks Adam. Been a lot of hard work that I believe has been paying off.

I realized that I never mentioned the corals I plan on keeping in the tank.

Plan at this point is to have a mixed reef, some soft corals (rics, shrooms, possible Tyree leather), some LPS and of course SPS. I would like to have the ability to place corals where ever I wish in the tank, low-high without restrictions. I.E. if I choose to place an SPS lower in the tank under a rock over hang, I'd like to have that option.

This tank is 24" deep, so light has to be intense, but not overly intense as to burn corals higher in the tank.

Cheers,
Alex

Oh ok I saw the 18d and assumed that was for depth. Anyway with the temp bith 175's and 250's are going to put off some heat and you might have to work a fan in either way. If its going to have good water movement you would be better served with the 250's as they have to get through the ripple effect on the water surface. Also you would be ok to put sps where ever you wanted, but most folks dont put them on the floor of the tank for looks anyway. I still think you dont need a fancy reflector but its up to you.

Mojo

rries Mojo. I didn't know if people thought the depth was 18" or 24" the way I worded it before.

You have a good point that I didn't factor in, The water movement and ripples. I may have some as I am looking at going with an MP40 and additional PH's as necessary, undetermined at this time. Figure I'd wait on that part of the build until I get my canopy done.

So what would the optimal height from the water be for the 250's? I'm tryuing to keep the height of the canpoy within reason. My better half says she hates those hoods that are to tall (16"-20" range). I guess I am hoping to get evrything in a canpoy that might be under 12". Don't know if that will be possible, yet.

Wow! definately a piece of furniture to be proud of Alex. The end access is a great option. I'm not a MH fan but would encourage getting the dual wattage electronic ballast as will allow more options down the road and can still add something like the Ice-Cap LED strip for your blue. I'll be starting my furniture build soon for my new 120g and for lighting I'll try a DIY LED setup to gradually change over from VHO lighting I've used for nearly 20 years.

Todd

hey spllbnd2, I just finished my stand also, I just started browsing Home Depot & Lowes online for molding. What kind of molding is that you use? Crown? Window?

I have my MH about 7"-8" from the water surface, would like it lower. Seems like one 250w(DE Coralvue) is not strong enough for sps. My 65g is also 24" high. I'm using Icecap ballast for both tanks and really like it.
Great job on the stand....will you have a hood?

Wow! definately a piece of furniture to be proud of Alex. The end access is a great option. I'm not a MH fan but would encourage getting the dual wattage electronic ballast as will allow more options down the road and can still add something like the Ice-Cap LED strip for your blue. I'll be starting my furniture build soon for my new 120g and for lighting I'll try a DIY LED setup to gradually change over from VHO lighting I've used for nearly 20 years.

Todd

Thanks Todd. I am thinking the same thing with the dual wattage ballasts. I could buy them and the reflector of choice and then decide wheter to go 175 or 250 later.

Keep me up dated on the build. I'll probably be posting a build log for my newest tank soon. Have lots and lots of photos.

Back