Advice and Critique Needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hey spllbnd2, I just finished my stand also, I just started browsing Home Depot & Lowes online for molding. What kind of molding is that you use? Crown? Window?

Hi 07FocusST. I used a few different mouldings. The main moulding under the top ledge is from Dunn Lumber and is a Chair Rail Moulding. Solid Basswood and made by House of Fara (if I remember correct, have to double check). The lower column mouldings are in the same area.

As for the top ledge, and the center of the columns I made those mouldings on my router table.

Last bit of advise, Stick with the lumber yards such as Dunn Lumber or Crosscut hardwoods in Seattle. Both those places have a good selection of wood and trim. Also better quality and local companies.

I have my MH about 7"-8" from the water surface, would like it lower. Seems like one 250w(DE Coralvue) is not strong enough for sps. My 65g is also 24" high. I'm using Icecap ballast for both tanks and really like it.
Great job on the stand....will you have a hood?

Thank you. And yes I do plan on making a hood soon. Trying to figure the total height at the moment and then I'll start the build on the canopy. I am leaning towards a total of 7 inches from bulb to water and a total of 5-6 inches from the bottom of the reflector to the water surface.

I'm kind of suprised that no one has mentioned using the Lumenarc or Lumenmax reflectors. I'd be curious to know how people like those reflectors and if one is better over the other.

I think I've decided that I will be purcasing two of the Lumatek ballasts, this is due to the fact that I can choose to go with any lighting with the multi-wattage ballast as theirs is. That and the fact they offer a full 5 year warranty on them. Full 3 years and then 2 addtional years Prorated.

Thank you Dieden. Looks like I am going to have to start the build thread sooner than I expected. Seeing how many people like the design and such.

There's a lot that people don't see with just that one photo. :D I have a few tricks with how everything comes together with the stand and how everything will fit directly into the stand.

But that's for another thread. Might start that this weekend.

For 45g frag tank I'm using Lumenmax reflector, 250w SE radium with icecap ballast. It's 5"-6" from water surface...my sps are more happy in the 45g than 65g.

For 45g frag tank I'm using Lumenmax reflector, 250w SE radium with icecap ballast. It's 5"-6" from water surface...my sps are more happy in the 45g than 65g.

Very cool. What type of reflector are you using on the 65? If I remember you're only running a single MH on the 65, correct?

Cheers,
Alex

So after a long week and a half of debating and taking measurements, I've decided what my lighting shall consist of for my 65H tank. Thank you all for the advice and I shall be posting a build thread sometime in the near future so be on the look out for that.

What I have chosen,

Lumetek ballast x2 (Due to the fact that I have options of being able to run anything from a 150HQI DE to a 250SE)

Lumen Max Elite x2 (IMO and research, this is the best reflector on the market at the present, with the best reflectivity in comparision to others. Also I can readily use a glass lens to protect the bulb from water splash.)

Dual T5HO actinics
Moonlights on moon phase timer

Cheers,
Alex

I run 7 of the luminarcs on mine, they do work well but you have to have the room to fit them in. I have a combo of the large and small. On the glass lens, I used to run them but they get salt creep on them and then burn it in, its a bit of bear to try and keep them clean. I ended up just removing mine and I have never had a bulb pop. but that would also be dictated by how far off the water you are??

Mojo

Thanks for the information on the glass lens, Mojo. I may have to deal with the cleanings as my bulb will be approximately 6-7" from the waters surface at times. All depends on how high I run my water level.

Cheers,
Alex

yea thats pretty close, just make sure you stay up on the cleaning, the older the creep gets the harder it is to get off.

Mojo

Thanks Mojo. I here ya there.

Forgot the other reason that I was swayed into the Lumen Max fixture, Sunlight Supply is a local Washington based company here in Vancouver, Wa. Very cool.

I see you've made most of your choices but I'll post this anyway.

Hi Alex, sorry to ignore you for so long. Been busy with Christmas.
Since you have the AC Jr. I recommend that you get 250MH because the choice of light bulbs is three times better. IME, 175s are very limited. With your AC controller, you can program a fail safe to shut the lights down if they're causing too much heat. I never had issues over my 120 with 250s FWIW.

Also, having 250s and 400's, Ive always kept the bottoms of my reflectors at 10 inches above the surface of the water. 14 to the bulb.
Ive never heard anything bad about the lumantek ballasts and think the ability to switch wattage is awesome. the Gallaxy ballasts are good and well known for giving some great color out of most bulbs. Radiums being the rage.

Hey Duane,

No worries. I did make my choice of ballast and reflector because of the fact that I could do a 250W SE as well as the 175W SE with both choices. I have a few 175W SE laying around so I figure I'll try those first too see how the different Kelvin's perform. Also I have a 175W SE pendant for the 20L that I've had laying around for months that I'll be finally using on that tank.

p.s. I have a DA ReefKeeper2 and a ReefKeeper Lite at the moment. I am looking at purchasing a DA ReefKeeper Elite for this system.

Guess there's no such thing as a cheap reef. *lol* Joking, Money is not an issue with this tank. Taking my time and doing everything just so.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,
Alex

Back