Advice on VHO bulbs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ldempke

I decided to go with with VHO's and the ice-cap 430 ballast and 3 pairs of endcaps I already have for my 20g canopy. I am assuming this set up with 24" URI's will actually be 24" or less and fit OK. Does anyone know?

so I am about to order the URI bulbs and am trying to decide which ones.
the 24" VHOs are 75 watts each.
I can put 3, but is 225watts overkill for a 20g?
should I just go with 2 bulbs?

what do you guys think the best combo of bulbs would be for a 20g tank of mostly zoanthids, and a few Ricordia.
1) super actinic with peak at 420nm
2) actinic white which is a 50/50. 12k
3) auqasun which is all white.10k

thanks

As best I know, 24" is to the end of the caps
More is better than less, especially with VHO.
2 aquasun and one actinic white up front to reflect off of the life.

hhmm. so aquasuns and actinic white? That sounds like that would be best for growth...but would that be 'yellow'?
I'm thinking of ordering 2 of each bulb and playing mix and match....

Mike,
so I have no need for the remaining URI super actinics 46.5" like I sold you before. I won't be selling them with the system since I am parting it out. I have one brand new, and 3 used for about 3 weeks. want to make a deal? trade or cash?
Lorrie

Last edited:
Two aquasuns 10K & one actinic & you will get awesome color & growth. It should fit, tight but it should fit.

Ok thanks guys. I haven't put it together yet...I think I'll buy a $4 24" bulb from the hardware store and make sure it'll fit with these endcaps before I order the URI's...
but thanks for the advice.

Idempke, sorry I missed your earlier post. Sold my 90 gallon with the VHOs and threw in the 6 extra bulbs (boy did that guy get an awesome deal) so don't need any more 4 footers. Now if you had a deal on some 6 footers...
The s46.5" bulbs are handy, easier to change than 48". Keep your actinics and use them up in lieu of replacing them with longer ones. If only using 1/4 ratio of actinics, the AW is as good as the SA. Save some cash...

Back