Advise on a 180 gallon setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Not to step on any toes, but the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule is "old school"

Depending on what kind of fish you want to keep will deterimine what your bio load is going to be like. The more rock, flow, and filtration you have, the more fish and other animals you will be able to stock in your tank.

A general rule of thumb we followed 15 years ago was 1 inch of full grown fish to 3-5 gallons for a reef. The key is FULL Grown, and it will keep you from having to sell/trade fish later in their life.

As for equipment, I'd go with T-5's and supplement it with some high powered flux LED's.

1 inch of fish per gallon rule is "old school"

Agreed, I like to think of this as a guideline not a rule, as guidelines can be molded to fit an individual's need within reason.

Last edited:
I have always wanted a sailfin too! cept ones coming with the 300 gallon im buying :D

And yeah it depends on the type of fish in the tank, not 1 inch per gallon (though it can be a guideline as well). But the one Ive heard more is 1 inch for every 2 gallon, but I still wouldn't push it...

I love how I am saying this when I have an eel in my 72 xD

I wanted to second the whole talking with Skimmerwhisperer about what skimmer to get and how to set it up (flow through the sump/return pump etc).

Back