After a long hiatus, time to set up a tank!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jrgilles

Hello guys, after 7 years of no saltwater tank, I have bought a house and am in the process of setting one up again (finally).

I am going to set up a 90 gallon salt tank (fish and soft corals), hopefully using as much of my old equipment as I can. I have a lot of stuff I cleaned and rebuilt when I took down my old 75 gallon salt and some stuff I got from my brother.

I am going to build a stand for it (which should be pretty simple) but I would also like to put in a sump tank underneath for all the equipment, and any info on how to go about this would be awesome. Here is what I have equipment-wise (from my old 75 gallon tank) that I would like to get set up under the tank:

Protein Skimmer
UV Sterilizer
Eheim Canister filter
30 gallon tank (an old cichlid tank)
heater

Other Misc stuff I have:
2 pinguin powerheads
centrifugal pump (mounts on glas, rotating powerhead for aeration/current)
Large dual-bio wheel behind the back filter (guessing I won't be using this with all the live rock I'lll have in the tank)
Lots of misc. brackets and tubing

If any of you have any info on how to set up a sump tank for added filtration and to hide the rest of this equipment, I would love some advice. The ones I saw at the store all had multiple chambers. I could get some glass cut and silicone it in to do this, but am not exactly sure. Could also jjust purchase one, as they only looked to run about 100 bucks (not sure if that included water pumps, etc. though, or just the tank). The books I have for salt aquariums are a little lacking in theoryy as far as these sump tanks go.

If any of guys could shoot me a picture of what you are using, that would help out a lot and give me a good understanding of what is needed.

Also, is it standard to have these run on a float switch to keep the tank filled? Or if I wanted to do that, would I need another water reservoir and another water pump and have that be a separate thing entirely?

Thanks, and glad to join your forums

rob

I'll post some pics when I get home tonight.

Coming along good. Ended up being a bigger project than I first anticipated...

I've got the tank stand built, stained and sealed, and last weekend I finished building a 50 gallon sump and got it all plumbed and set into the stand.

My return pump should arrive today, and I have an extra overflow box on its way (as I decided it was foolish to go with one drain....)

I have the stand build for my 20 gallon fuge that will sit along side the display tank. I still need to drill 2 holes in it for bulkhead drains, and I still need to stain and seal that stand...

Getting closer though. Within a week I should be able to fill the display tank and sump. I have the fuge plumbing done so I can add it into the loop at any time and then I just open up a ball valve and its good to go.

Gotta think about substrate now. I'm going to go with a 6-8 inch DSB in the fuge, then maybe a mix of crished coral and sand for the display, but not too deep; Just for looks. Still thinking about the substrate though....

Then I need to buy an insane amount of live rock. Its going to hurt

rob

Last edited:
Back