AGA 125 duel megaflow return pump help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krowleey

what return pump would you recommend for this tank? i asked on RC a week or so ago, got very little response and i want to make sure i get the correct return pump. thanks again!

Are you asking for what brand or how GPH? Generally you want to just turn over your tank 3-5 times the display volume. I hope that helps out. Eheim pumps are very reliable and quiet.

well this tank has two overflows. do i use just one single return pump seeing how it has two returns in the megaflow? would i need to tee what? and what GPH would you reccomend? i think those bulkheads are rated at 600 gph each?

Yeah I beleive the mega OF system is rated at 600gph each. As far as pumps goes I suggest a Eheim 1260(634gph) or1262 (900gph) and tee them off.

ok i was wondering how people did that, if they had two returns for each or tee the return from a single pump. will a tee hinder the return any or cause micro bubble probs or does it work like a champ?

I will be getting a 180 in about a week and a half. It is pretty much the same as your tank just 6'' deeper. I plan on using 2 eheim pumps for my return a 1260 and 1262. I will have the 1262 return through my chiller and then up to the tank and the 1260 I will Tee that off with one end with a valve to a carbon reactor and phos ban reactor and the other end returning to the display. That is the plan I have but might change. I might just use the eheim 1262 to do everything I mentioned above if I feel the 2 pumps is too much.

yeah i almost pulled the trigger for the 180. but i felt the 125 is large enough. i'm really hoping one pump is enough, im hoping i will not need a chiller. i have not decided on lighting. either MH or t-5. i think with t-5 heat would not be an issue at all. and with tghe MH fans may be good enough im not sure. i was hoping people with the same tank would chime in with their set-ups

I'm hoping I don't need to run my chiller all year round just the couple of mild summer months we have here.The room that the tank is going to be in stays relatively cool. I will be using either 3 250w or 3 400w halides over the tank. I am planning a open top with the lights floating over it so that way I don't have heat trapped under the hood.

Anyways have you decided on what type of pump(s) to use for your return?

Back