Agae scrubbers? Are they worth the trouble?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

I've been kicking around the idea of constuctind an Algae scrubber. Sounded like a good concept, just not sure if it would be something for me?

I HAD an algae bloom, took care of it with some chemi-pure elite and crabs and snails. Now the only place I have algae growing is were I want it, in the Fuge.

Here are my questions:
Do pods live in here? If so, aren't wiped out when you rinse the screen in the sink?

Couldn't you just hang the screen in your fuge? And maybe prune back the algae?

I may make one either way just because I need something to do, something I can have fun with.

Is there anything to worry about with these devices?

I think they do have their merit, if constructed and used properly. I don't think hanging the screen in your fuge will work very well though. There's some good designs, using a 5 gallon bucket, available. The concept does work, as it's been around a very long time. However, you'll read a lot of hype, about how they can replace a skimmer, which I disagree with. For their intended purpose, they're a good addition to a natural filtration system. Do a lot of research into them, before you decide to build one. The newer "household" CF bulbs have helped to make them more efficient than they used to be, allowing for a much smaller footprint than used to be needed, to achieve the same results.

I have recently built one for under 40 dollars. Two reflectors, and two CFL bulbs, a pump that I had laying around the house and a tough tote. Worked like a charm. It has been awesome. I had some green hair algea growing in the main display, and within a month and a half I started to see it reced. Then it just disappeared all together. I also noticed that it was out competing the macro growing in my refugium. The cheato started getting thinner and the calearpa started clearing out. So does it do it's job I would say yes. Would I listen to the hype about it negating the need for water changes, or a good skimmer. Not at all. I did however notice that my skimmer started skimming less once this thing was online. So

first-algae-scrubber.jpg

This one feeds straight from the overflows and feeds the sump.

does it matter the placement in the system? before or after the skimmer? is this going to make a fuge..um...not needed? well for macro? if so what else can I use to cultivate pods?
What about the pods? I have a huge population. Due to not having any Fish and 2 bottles of tiger pods.

I like the concept of it, just not sure how it's going to effect my pod pop? I would like to get a Manderin one day. When "cleaning" the screen do you have to clean both sides, maybe just one side at a time? This way all of the pods aren't lost?

I have mine running into my fuge so I still maintain macro and pods in quantity. I clean both sides of my screen. There is a really detailed write up on reef central explaining the size you need etc. It is something like 1 sq in for every gallon of water in your system. I made mine larger. The purpose of cleaning the screen is to remove the algae because otherwise light won't make it to the algae on the bottom of the screen and that will cause die off. Also once the algae gets grown out enough it will pull itself off the screen due to weight.

Well I believe that if the scrubber is up and running efficiently, then you will find that it out competes the other algea for nutrients. So the other macro's will start to dwindle away. I do believe that this is the reason for a scrubber. So the algea in the tank starves and eventually dies off. Once this is accomplished then the algea stays in one place and that is the scrubber. As far as the cleaning goes. If you are doing a double sided set up then you will need to clean one side one week, then the other side the next week. You will have pods on the turf, they will get scraped with the algea. If you have live rock in the sump then you will have more then enough place for the pods to populate. Now on to the skimmer portion. I have not researched the placement and the efficiency, before or after the skimmer. Mine is placed before the skimmer and seems to be doing pretty good. Did not really think of that before I set it up.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f231/what-do-you-guys-think-60058/

Once I was informed of this device, I started researching it. I found myself on the algae scrubber forum, lots of info. I was just wondering what members in our great Forum had for thoughts. I haven't talked to anyone on the subject except a few here at RF. I have read the write ups by the people who have been putting out all the hype, I think I understand the workings and concepts. I even have, I think, a pretty cool design idea. I would like to build one, maybe more if it works well, others are interested.

OK, for the pods, yeah I see pods will live every where, rocks, sand, glass, they are all over my system. So if they will live fine other places, then would it be a good idea to turn my fuge "cryptic"? Will pods still strive in the dark, I have this awesome fuge with an 8in DSB(my old DT, 40gal tall, the water has alot of "hang time")

I think that turning the refuge into a cryptic zone would be awesome. Low flow and no light. The only question that I have is would it be beneficial, or would it even start. With the scrubber after the cryptic zone then it could possibly work.

As far as before or after the skimmer? I have mine fed off my return pump (my plumbing is simple but unique) and I get great scrubbing growth. My cheato has slowed down in growth and will probably be outcompeted eventually....until then the more the merrier as long as it isn't in my display....

scrubber

I have been testing my home made scrubber on a 20 gallon (20lbs LR) since March 2nd. The sump has around 30 gallons of water (45lbs LR) with a 600gph return(angles taken into account) Running a MP10 and a heater. Using a 250w MH and that is all the equipment being used.
At around the 2.5 month mark I did get some cyano for about a week which was due to detritus under the LR in the sump. It has cleared up after the vaccuum. There are stages of algae that need cleaning off often when starting the scrubber but over time it develops a nice thick algae( not mat). i clean half of it every week, it is loaded with pods and i also use it without the lights for 6 hours a day during peak heat hours that actually cools it down.
my twobits.

As far as before or after the skimmer? I have mine fed off my return pump (my plumbing is simple but unique) and I get great scrubbing growth. My cheato has slowed down in growth and will probably be outcompeted eventually....until then the more the merrier as long as it isn't in my display....

So you actually have it as the last step before your DT?

I have been testing my home made scrubber on a 20 gallon (20lbs LR) since March 2nd. The sump has around 30 gallons of water (45lbs LR) with a 600gph return(angles taken into account) Running a MP10 and a heater. Using a 250w MH and that is all the equipment being used.
At around the 2.5 month mark I did get some cyano for about a week which was due to detritus under the LR in the sump. It has cleared up after the vaccuum. There are stages of algae that need cleaning off often when starting the scrubber but over time it develops a nice thick algae( not mat). i clean half of it every week, it is loaded with pods and i also use it without the lights for 6 hours a day during peak heat hours that actually cools it down.
my twobits.

I read that you should turn the lights off for some period, something the do with growing and filtering cycles.

My return has a 3 way halfway up the line. On branch has a ball valve that feeds the ATS/ fuge and the other has a ball valve with a hose nipple for media reactors or a water change hose etc.

I'll get a pic later.

here's a good thread for an algae scrubber and a funny-ass read as well.
as much as i slam the OP, i still think this is a decent design to add to an existing sump with skimmer.
and I do still agree with my original statements in the thread that i think some of the newer bacteria based methods do a little more to outcompete problem algae in the display than a algae scrubber.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums...r-replaces-skimmer-refugium-everything-37964/

Last edited:
I agree that it isn't a replacement for a good skimmer, but it is defintley a very efficient feature to have on the tank. I would never set up another system without one!

Back