Aggressive fish keepers.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
How many people here are keeping aggressive tanks? Is it a FO, FOWLR or a reef. I am wondering if those doing or have done aggressive reefs, were you successful?

I have a 250 aggressive reef and am having more fun with it than any other reef setup I have done. It's only been up for a few months and I am slowly but surely collecting coral for it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I guess my 250 mixed reef is considered aggressive. I've got a big mean Purple Tang (Moses) but he only bosses around the other fish; my Lemon Peel Pygmy Angel (Butters) is his little henchman.

I also have a Coral Beauty Angel (added the same time as the Lemon Peel) and a Valentini Puffer. The rest of my fish are all considered reef safe.

Never had any problem with the Coral Beauty or the Puffer but had to put all my LPS in a nano because the Lemon Peel thought they were dinner. He doesn't touch my Acropora or other SPS.

What kind of fish are you considering Steven?

Jill

Jill - I have a volitan lion, miniatus grouper, blue throat, huma huma and nigger trigger, yellow tang, sailfin tang and a leopard wrasse. The yellow tang is the most aggressive fish in the tank.

I had an aggressive reef for about a year before I went back to tangs and damsels.

The Triggers were my favorite and the angler was the coolest looking. Never had trouble growing coral with them. My favorite angel was the Navarkius.

Jill - I have a volitan lion, miniatus grouper, blue throat, huma huma and nigger trigger, yellow tang, sailfin tang and a leopard wrasse. The yellow tang is the most aggressive fish in the tank.

Wow! That must be beautiful. I would love to have a huma huma but was told they would decimate not only the coral but the live rock as well. How is he working out?

Hasn't once looked at the coral. He has bitten the rock but I am pretty sure he was goin after a stomatela? snail. He loves those. I just can't keep a cleaning crew with him. I did have a dog face in there but he had to come out because he destroyed my poci's and mili's.

I had an aggressive reef for about a year before I went back to tangs and damsels.

The Triggers were my favorite and the angler was the coolest looking. Never had trouble growing coral with them. My favorite angel was the Navarkius.

Why did you stop with the aggressive reef?

The Hawaiian Trigger did like to bit me a lot. He taught me good husbandry. I rarely put my hands in that tank LOL!

I wanted more sps and the Navarkius went rouge on me.

I would still do triggers in a reef though. They were some of the coolest fish I have ever owned.

My triggers are awesome. My new blue throat is not one bit shy. He comes after fingers, not sure about arms yet.

I had 2 angels in my 210 reef for a while, but had to pull them both(Scribbled and Emperor Juvenile). I feed them like crazy, but they still picked at even my SPS. After a while I got sick of experimenting and trying to find corals they wouldn't pick at. Now I am rolling with all reef safe: Hippo, Desjardini, Atlantic Blue, and Vlamingi Tangs, Black Ice clown pair, Resplendent Anthias trio, and going to add a wrasse or two. Let my corals grow and be happy and gave the Angels have their own FOWLR tank.

Nonstop- I intended on keeping an angel or two at first. I just happen to come across the triggers first. They keep it interesting when its time to feed or clean the tank.

Hey Steven, sounds like your having alot of fun with this setup. Have to admit that one of my favorite systems I ever had was a 180g FOWLR Predator Tank which housed aHawaiian Dragon Morey, Clown Trigger, Niger Trigger, Black Volitan Lionfish, Harlequin Tuskfish, Dragon Wrasse and a few exhiled Damsels. Except for the Damsels everything was introduced as very small juveniles. I ran a large window-box Algae Scrubber to help combat the HIGH Bio-laod. Also caught most of there food (Candlefish & sm Herring) for them while Salmon fishing in Puget Sound.

Cheers, Todd

Back