Aiptasia on my live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Roly

Go WhiteSox!
I was told by a neighbor that one of my live rocks had Aiptasia. I didnt know it was a bad thing. I actually thought it looked kinda cool. Do I need to get rid of it? If so how? Should I just get rid of that piece?

Joes juice works good for me, I first saw a Aiptasia i thought it looked cool 2, but i guess acorrding to these guys its bad, (i have left one) guess they sting the inhab's. but
if your going to the natural looks everything works together

joes juice following directions worked for me

Don't like them, they will spread & cover your rocks in time, If it is on one rock remove the rock before it spreads, kalk past it & put it in a tub away from your other rocks. JJ will knock them down but in a few weeks they will come back in the very same spot. You can also try kalk paste to cover the spot some have used hot water, vinegar but be careful on the amount of anything you use.

Thanks Scooterman and Burning2nd, I actually took that one rock out. When I looked closer, I actually had 4 on that same rock. Three of them were tiny but I didnt want them to grow everywhere. So I took that piece out. The rest seem fine. Thanks, again, for the help.

its SAID somewhere (id really like to know where) that they will, but my 2 dont. And on that note everyone everyone ive met has said that theres did not as well.

SO IMO thats a crock

but they are very fun 2 watch, and there very agressive cleaners

Ok one of my customers called and said she got a good deal on a new tank. It was set up in her living room and to come see it. Soooooo...........

I go, 75g reef. bio balls, a skimmer that is 2" in diameter run by tiny little powerhead with a air line hooked to it.
And... Drum roll please.
at least 500 aptasia anemone. Big ones, little ones, medium sized ones, hungry ones, full ones, happy ones, mad ones, all kinds of aptasia.
So I ordered some berghia from a company. They were delivered today, I acclimated them to her tank, and we will see if they work. www.saltyunderground.com
Really a nice lady. Well packaged and shipped.

I heard that peppermint shrimp eat them too. Let us know if they work wrightme43!

peppermint shrimp will work some times, so will copperbands, joes juice and kalk paste, but not always. I have a bunch and one of these days I am going to get some berghia, for now they do help filter but will irretate local coral. they will kill them all. this is the bet way to make sure you kill them.

wrightme- I was actually on that site this morning. $15 each seems fair.

Peppermints and copperband are a hit and miss situation. When some came in on some of my rock I just heated some water to boiling carried it over to the tank and blasted them with a turkey baster. That was over a year ago and no sign of them since. Cheap and easy.:D

Peppermint Shrimp worked great for me. Four shrimp cleared out a 140 gallon tank in a week. I have read of lots of successes and lots of cases where the shrimp never touched the aiptasia, so it is hit or miss.

Peppermints and copperband are a hit and miss situation. When some came in on some of my rock I just heated some water to boiling carried it over to the tank and blasted them with a turkey baster. That was over a year ago and no sign of them since. Cheap and easy.:D

hot water in a baster huh ?? I think I'll give it a shot, is there any particular way you recommend or do I just blast em with the hot water

Thanks

Just put the baster with the hot water right over the aiptasia. As close as possible without touching it. Once the water hits, it will melt. Then get a closer and squirt the rock where it was fastened. It should only take 1-2 oz each.

Brenden's trick worked flawlessly on my Majanos too. I used a small dentist hypo with the bent tip for the ones growing next to other life. One or two CCs of scalding water cooked them into soup within seconds yet didn't bother zoas, etc next door; "No soup for you, NEXT!"

that sounds like a good way to start. with the little amount you have. When you get to my level(yes I am proud) you will need the nudi's. I just have to man up one of these days and buy some.

Thanks for the tips guys :cool: Hey Brad, I may be in the same league as you, I bet I have at least a hundred in my 55

Mike & Brad, it never hurts to start. I put a bunch of rock from the guy whose tank blew out in the middle of the morning. It was COVERED with majanos and aptasia. Went to work. Full steam first few hours got most. A dozen or so a day for a few days got the rest. I now find one every couple weeks if moving some rock, cleaned up a 90 overfilled with 200 lbs of rock. Seems overwhelming, but the go pretty fast.
Mike S of Kent

aptasia arent that bad other than being unsightly especially in a good reef tank jj works good but like they said prob not gonna solve the prob being you can only use so much and they spread so fast as far as the shrimp go ive heard peppermint shrimp do eat them and so do copper banded butterfly will do the same but the prob is once you get them they spread quick so you have to stay on top of them

Back