Aiptasia problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What do these little critters look like, I may have some in my tank and it would be pretty easy to get rid of them now, if I could identify them as being aptasia. Pictures, anyone?

> Wave98 :)

Thanks Shauna, mine look a good bit different than that. Actually they look a lot like a very small rose BTA, with the bubble tips and red color, but I don't think that's likely. :confused: I have the first new one now, 4 weeks after I purchased a small Plating frag on a small rock.

I know it is a new animal because it is about 1 inch away from its closest "parent", and on a different rock. I could remove them easily right now , but I want to identify it as bad first, if possible.

Thanks again for the pictures, > Wave98 :)

any comments on rose colored bubble tipped aptasia??? :?:

They may be Majano Anenomes. They are also a pest and should be removed. Here is a pic, but they are usually have pinker tips on them.

faq_anemonia.jpg

Thanks Kensn, that's not it either though. They are red with bulbous tips just like a Rose BTA. They have 2 or three "rows" of tentacles at the rim, VS just one row that I see on aptasia pictures. They are about dime sized with a 1/2" tall stalk. I need to get a camera. Maybe my wife will fix me up for my birthday. :oops:

Until then, any more photos, or "pesky anemone" links?

Thanks all, < Wave98 :)

For either the aiptasia or Majano I tried Joes Juice as when I rearranged my rock I found about 30 Majano on a piece I couldnt see from the front.

Worked like a charm. Took about 2 minutes and everything is gone from tank (4 stalks of Aiptasia also) and nothing else in reef hurt

HIGHLY recommend it

Back