"Air" how much is to much???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

burning2nd

got some new stuff to get my red slime algie and make it go away

directions say to aero-ate the water when treating,

if i use the little air things that came with the maxi's how much do i want it open?? all the way bubbles all over the place or lower???

after i went and paid for a new air pump and stone, i relized that i allready had a way of geting air in to the water. 3 maxi jets 3 sets of air things

chemi clean is the product

Well I've heard that if air bubbles get into the gills of fish it is very bad for them. If you have a sump I would just use the air stone down there.

no sump, but idea consiterd. ive turned it down a little so its not all over the place. and ive risen my collection cup up on my skimmer.

i was just wondering the same thing. are alot of air bubbles bad. if so, why?

burning2nd said:
got some new stuff to get my red slime algie and make it go away

directions say to aero-ate the water when treating,

if i use the little air things that came with the maxi's how much do i want it open?? all the way bubbles all over the place or lower???

after i went and paid for a new air pump and stone, i relized that i allready had a way of geting air in to the water. 3 maxi jets 3 sets of air things

chemi clean is the product

Do not repeat do not use a chemical to get rid of cyno bacteria. Not only will it "kill" the cyno but it will certainly have a bad effect on your beneficial bacteria that breaks down, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Not only that even though it says reef safe, most aren't. Use a siphon to get the stuff out. If you have some trochus or astrea snails put them on the slime. Low flow and high nutrients are the main cause to this problem. But don't use a chemical treatment.

First and foremost, Chemi clean is not your answer as 4251cpd said. Cyano is blooming for a reason, phosphorus and nitrate are in abundance. Also keep in mind that if this is a newer tank set up, it can be very common but short lived if the underlying causes eliminated.

As for the term "aeration", it does not necessarily mean bubbles. It simpley means having good gas exchange. Products like Chemi clean are oxidizers and can cause large O2 spikes. With low circulation within the tank and at the waters surface, it will allow gases to build up in the water affecting both O2, CO2, nitogens and so on that can affect chemistry and the health of your animals. In a confined space an airstone attached to a small air pump would work quite well. In a larger water volume the affects of airstones are localized and do not impact the aeration of the tank as a whole. The best way to do this is with the Maxijets you have, not adding air injection to them.

Simpley place two at the surface pointing towards each other to create turbulant flow and the other lower down in the tank so it helps swell up gases to the surface where they can be released.

What model MJ's are these and how large is your tank? Lack of water flow can be algaes best friend.

Cheers
Steve

ronj said:
i was just wondering the same thing. are alot of air bubbles bad. if so, why?
Air bubbles if I remember correctly have to do with getting into the digestive tract of the fish and there is a specific disease that will eventually cause the demise of the fish. As for "aerating" the water, it has to do with the oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange at the surface. Surface scum, tight cover etc prohibits a good exchange. Having a good enough gph circulation in your system and a way to cause the surface tension (churning) to break up will really help to keep your tank water well aerated.

silverwolf said:
Well I've heard that if air bubbles get into the gills of fish it is very bad for them. If you have a sump I would just use the air stone down there.

I used an airstone once and would've thrown it through the window had it not been in the middle of winter. Mind you, I have a 12 gallon tank, but overnight, my pH pegged 8.9. NOT GOOD, I tell ya. Mike.

i just mean air bubbles, not aeration specificly.:) if you use the air attachment like Burning2nd is talking about, is it possible to have too many air bubbles ?

I've read that air bubbles, micro or macro have no real place in SW tanks period, unless it's in the skimmer chamber. If you would like to run one, only in the sump and monitor your pH levels at four or five different times for three days. If it is constant, then by all means have at it. I'm just not sold on air stones/pumps in marine aquaria. Mike.

Air bubbles can irritate corals some but in regards to fish the main concern is gas bubble disease. It's not actually the bubbles themselves though, it's an accumulation of nitrogen gases in the water column. Not all that common.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
Air bubbles can irritate corals some but in regards to fish the main concern is gas bubble disease. It's not actually the bubbles themselves though, it's an accumulation of nitrogen gases in the water column. Not all that common.

Cheers
Steve
Let me guess S-S, with proper aeration/skimming of the tank, there should be no problem w/nitrogen gas, verdad?

If you do use this product, turn your skimmer off. I left mine on it overflowed so bad thier was back pressure in my waste collector. When I turned the skimmer off it siphoned mucho crap back to my sump. The directions seem to leave this out.

oliver said:
If you do use this product, turn your skimmer off. I left mine on it overflowed so bad thier was back pressure in my waste collector. When I turned the skimmer off it siphoned mucho crap back to my sump. The directions seem to leave this out.

Thats funny the directions on mine say to turn off skimmer for 24hrs, you must have gotten the packaging made on Friday near 5 pm ;)

Agree with those saying find the cause of your red slime, feed less, add more water movement. And do not use quimical remedies, they do not treat the cause of your problem.
This could take a while to eliminate, plan on doing a few larg water changes and vacum as much fish poop and uneaten food as possible while doing so.
Are you using a skimmer? if so adjust it to run wet.

4251cpd said:
with proper aeration/skimming of the tank, there should be no problem w/nitrogen gas, verdad?
Proper water movement (throughout/surface) and the tank/tank room can breathe properly, that's all that's needed.

Cheers
Steve

Back