air stones in main tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Phuture1

hey guys. do i need to have air stones in my main tank or can i put them in my sump? the small bubbles make my tank look cloudy. what do you think?

hey guys. do i need to have air stones in my main tank or can i put them in my sump? the small bubbles make my tank look cloudy. what do you think?

Tell us more about your set up.

Skimmer?
Powerheads?
Canister Filter?
How much water turn over you have?

I've never seen air stone's directly in the main display a salt water reef before, but it doesn't mean it can't be done. Personally I don't like to see the bubbles anywhere in the main display, and I take measures to make sure they don't end up there when being returned from my sump and refrigum. With enough water turnover and good skimming air stones shouldn't be needed.

Dont forget to mention Salt Creep build up from bubbles popping... just more to clean up using bubbles....

No airstones in the tank except for rare occations such as power outages or very low PH. The bubbles interfere with the lighting somewhat and can be irritating to fish and corals.

They are great in sumps as long as the bubbles stay there.

thanks for the input.

46 gal. reef in progress
30# live rock
home made protein skimmer
10 gal. sump
rena xp3 canister
2- zoo med power sweep 228 powerheads

Back