Algae and what to do

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW --- Yes, that was a little joke about being followed and people finding fault in everything I say.

I guess I will have to become new school and recommend a water change to solve every problem. A very scientific approach !

OFM

It more about efficiency than old school or new school. Years ago water changes were expensive and most didnt own an rodi. Today most own an rodi and salt is cheap. It would take a tank full of mangroves years to do what a single water change will do in minutes.

Don

Sure DonW --- but, you have not done the research to find the problem. It is a stop gap approach at the least.

It is a new tank --- that slime / Cyano is doing what it is supposed to do --- eliminate waste and maintain good water quality. The waste may be fish waste or extra food that was not consumed. The water parameters are good, the water is fine !

Use a bottle brush, with a siphon and clean up the Cyano and brush the rocks --- the coral will take care of themselves with their own defenses.

I have been doing this for forty + years and just because the tank cycled the system needs to mature.

I have seen tanks you could not see through the glass --- the water was fine --- the fish and Corals were fine --- the Cyano ate all the other forms of Algae. A good cleaning which removed waste, and water of course took care of the initial problem. Other steps were used to export the waste and nutrients that proved to be a causal factor to the original outbreak, and helped to eliminate further problems.

OFM

Sure DonW --- but, you have not done the research to find the problem. It is a stop gap approach at the least.

It is a new tank --- that slime / Cyano is doing what it is supposed to do --- eliminate waste and maintain good water quality. The waste may be fish waste or extra food that was not consumed. The water parameters are good, the water is fine !

Use a bottle brush, with a siphon and clean up the Cyano and brush the rocks --- the coral will take care of themselves with their own defenses.

I have been doing this for forty + years and just because the tank cycled the system needs to mature.

I have seen tanks you could not see through the glass --- the water was fine --- the fish and Corals were fine --- the Cyano ate all the other forms of Algae. A good cleaning which removed waste, and water of course took care of the initial problem. Other steps were used to export the waste and nutrients that proved to be a causal factor to the original outbreak, and helped to eliminate further problems.

OFM

I get what your saying. Obviously there would not be cyano if there wasnt nutrient. Now as far as cyano goes the problem 99.5% of the time lies directly under the cyano itself and has nothing to do with water quality. Cyano accumulates directly over its primary food source. Thus it (the tank) is lacking in export, possibly just a little flow change will get the detritus up and out. That being said adding mangroves as you point out will most likely do nothing to help with the cyano. Getting the nutrient up and out to the skimmer or vacuumed with a water change will do more for cyano than any other method. Which is what are both saying.

Don

And just a FYI guys... I have found that posting an "issue" on this forum typically in itself fixes the "issue" :). I have since learned that this Cyano outbreak was just part of the tank being new and cleared up almost immediately after I posted this. We are now going through the same thing with green hair algae and I'm hoping that even by mentioning it now it will clear up by the end of the week :D:D... No really, I really appreciate all the expertise and knowledge that comes from these forums and guys like you. You are invaluable to us Noobs and please keep up with all the fantastic new and old school information and techniques.

Back