Algae Eaters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

snafu38

Hi,

I have a problem with re/brown algae. Id read that it may turn green after a while but it hasnt. It is ugly & I think it may be responsible for trace elements of ammonia, nitrate etc. Either way, I want it gone & dont think the fish enjoy big clouds of it through their water every week.

I have a UV Steriliser running 24/7, light is on a timer for about 11 hours/day, & with only 2 clowns that are on a diet in a 270L system, the bio load is small.

What I am looking for is something to eat the algae, preferably something that isnt too ugly, & definately something that will eat algae & not my clowns eggs.

My searching has found the Algae Blenny (Salarias Fasciatus) & Rainford's Goby (Amblygobius Rainfordi). What do people think of them, & are there any other suggestions.

Thanks heaps,
Stan
[email protected]

Adding fish to solve algae issues is not in your (or their) best interest. I would really encourage you to look at the causes and try to eliminate those before you start looking for animals to control the issue. Once the problem is gone, what do you feed them? More commonly, fish/animals with specialized diets do poorly in that event.

By the sounds of it, this tank is not that old? Less than six months mabye? The algae you speak of are diatoms and cyanobacteria. The diatoms will burn themsleves out once the available silicates in the system are used up and as long as no further silicate sources are added. Cyano's biggest friend is phosphate and is further fueled by nitrogenous wastes. Have you checked your tank for those?

I would suggest a run down of all your water quality numbers, chemistry, set up, waste bioload, feeding habits and maintenance routine.

On the green algae you speak of, I think you mostook what was meant. The algae does not turn to green, rather the tank starts producing green alages as apposed to the first two mentioned above. Short form being, your tanks going through "growing pains" :p

Cheers
Steve

first just about everything, crabs, snails, shrimp, fish may eat/destroy those eggs.

the only fish i ever had that actually ate cyano was a Ebili Angel (ive never heard of another dwarf angel that ever did). i work at a fish store too, and you're just not gonna find a fish that will go after cyano. hermits might, emerald crabs might, but only if theres not other algae.

and if u have a cyano problem, Use Chemi-clean($17). Kills it within 24-48 hours. Maybe use phosguard for phosphate/silicate control(which aids cyno growth), keep the lighting down to a minimum. Also cyano loves growing in the nearly "dead" spots in your tank, so if you can get another powerhead or rearrange what you got to provide water movement in those places it's growing.

personally when i get it, i reach in my tank, and pull off as much cyano out as i can and use chemi-clean (its a white tube in a plastic baggie). i keep doing this until it's gone. I have let cyano "go" until it dies, and thats about 2.5 months if i naturally do it.

sure i lose some sand it may be on,

It sounds to me that your tank is new and undergoing the "normal" algae cylces. If that is the case, then I wouldn't really be too concerned...

However, without any more info, it is difficult to give any advise (i.e. tank age? type of algae? bioload? how much are you feeding? RO/DI water or tap? etc...)

Take er easy
Scott T.

I agree on the water flow and manual removal but I have a huge issue with the Chemi Clean. Using these kinds of oxidizers in a reef system can often have unseen collateral damage. Not to mention it does not deal with the root cause, it only masks it. :doubt:

I would also urge caution with which phosphate absorber you choose. While Phosguard is a very effective product, I should be reserved for systems without zooxanthellae dependant animals. If corals are in question, choose an iron based granual instead of aluminum.

Cheers
Steve

Back