Coralline Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi Krish,That makes sense why didn't I think of that you're right because I did not buy live rock I used artificial live rock it looks great but it doesn't have the stuff I needed. tomorrow morning I'll go to my local pet store and buy a piece of live rock with it on it and put it in the tank . thanks for your help really appreciate it. Phil

Great write up. To the point and simple (even I understood it)

Thank you for sharing this :tongue:

Ok so I have red, and purple coralline algea already in my tank. My LFS said to raise my calcium to 480 and it should promote more coralline. But not so much to where it over takes my tank. He also said to get bio-stimulous median. To extract the Phosphate from my tank. The same stuff he uses in his tank. It's where I got my live rock from. But his calcium rests at 480. Is that to high

HTC tapatalk

No problem "oceanreefs" and "derbird"

As for you question Josh, it's all about balance between calcium, all and mag. Mojo had a great way of explaining it using a bag of colored marbles. When I get free today (going to be a busy long day so I won't be at a computer much to search) I'll see if I can locate it. I use to shoot for about 420 ppm of calcium. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6b3df539-7a32-e803.jpg

6b3df539-7a80-3b40.jpg

6b3df539-7a94-2233.jpg

6b3df539-7aa9-10b8.jpg

6b3df539-7abd-71ea.jpg

Ok that's all my coralline growth I have. Funny thing is its growing where there is no direct light, is that normal
HTC tapatalk

Coralline will grow pretty much anywhere. I've seen sumps covered in coralline from just s fuge light. :)

Umm.... That looks like sand lol. I'm guessing the shadows from your rock give the illusion of it being wavy. But the coralline growth on it is very cool. One of my buddies I think the only other sw guy in Vancouver other than me. Told be to buy coralline booster sheets, and set it next to my powerhead so that it spreads with the flow.

HTC tapatalk

Umm.... That looks like sand lol. I'm guessing the shadows from your rock give the illusion of it being wavy. But the coralline growth on it is very cool. One of my buddies I think the only other sw guy in Vancouver other than me. Told be to buy coralline booster sheets, and set it next to my powerhead so that it spreads with the flow.

HTC tapatalk

When you add coralline to a tank, you turn off you sump (if running one), filters and in tank skimmer if running one, and throw the scrapings in the tank and let the flow disperse it everywhere. Let it sit like this for a few mins before turning everything back on. Should disperse it well. I dove up some old bottles and shells etc and scraped it off and crushed up in water to almost a paste then tossed it in my tank. As you can see by the picture at the beginning of the thread, my rocks were covered with all kinds of colors. :)

Very interesting, wish I known this when I salvaged the coralline algae from the rock that had aiptasia. Cause I'm pretty sure its growing in my filter now;)

HTC tapatalk

I went today to my friends Shop and he gave me a whole bunch of coralline algae so I came back and put it in the tank hopefully it takes off . thank you for your suggestions and help really makes a big difference communicating with friends for help like that I will let you know how things turn out I'm hoping they let me post some photos of my tank soon because lately they said I need to do more posting or something I don't understand why but that's the way it is I guess anyway thanks again. Phil:ranger:

Yeah man post a lot. Then once you hit the amount required. You can post pics. I'd be excited to see your tank. And the growth in it.

HTC tapatalk

Good morning, I just got a shipment of LED lights from a company in Canada, over the next week I'm going to install them and see how they look. My hood is in 3 sections the 1st section I already have LEDs in it that I had installed 2 weeks ago, the middle section has 3 double ended metal halide 250 W each 20,000 K . now that's all I have to do is the back section and get rid of these fluorescent lights. I'll keep you informed.Phil:biggrin1:

I forgot to mention that I put the coralline in the tank last night. I had some pretty big pieces 2 to 3 inches and I place them on some of the live rock, I hope they take off and grow. PD:focus:

Last edited:
Good luck with the coralline! I usually turn mine into a paste crushing it a bowl of water but you should be good.

As for the posting of pictures, we have had spammers sign up and post links to their websites right away so we had to put a minimum post count criteria on each new account just to be safe. I think it about 10 posts or so so I think you are good to go. I have to run, but if you check the stickies at the top of the "come in and say hello" forum, I think I have a step by step thread there titled " How to post pics without attachments" or something like that. Check it out. :)

Last edited:
I think its like 5 posts. Cruz around threads, read them post ?. It's what i did. You'll get replies. Answer the replies

HTC tapatalk

Back