Algae frustration.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

5ft24

Ok, for almost 3 months I fought GHA and Cyano. Upped magnesium, tried chemiclean, chemipure, GFO, replaced my lights etc. My tank has been running for over a year and a half. It's a 55, sumpless. Nothing touched the algae. Cut the light times down, started feeding every other day, nothing. Tried EcoBak, and within 3 days ALL of it was gone. No more crusty green film to be cleaned off the glass etc. Took rocks out 1 at a time and scrubbed them. Tank was crystal clear for a month, and suddenly, almost overnight, it's back. My Mind Blowing Paly's have closed up and refuse to open. Everything else, zoa's fish, CUC etc is fine. Water params:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
KH 9
Phosphate 0 (with Hannah)
CA 420
MG 1320
Salinity 1.025

I do water changes of 5 gallons a week, water is 0 TDS before salt.
Any ideas of what I can do to get this taken care of once and for all?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What kind of rock do you have and do you have sand in the tank and what type? What do you feed your fish? Have you had someone else check your ro/di water for tds?

Rock is from Marine depot. Can't remember the brand, but it's all holey. Cured it for a couple weeks before putting it in the tank. Sand is the extra fine oolite... Carib sea live. Fish eat new life spectrum pellets, and once a week I drop in a clam on the half shell for the puffer. Nems each get 1/3 of a silverside a week. Took RO/DI and tank water to my LFS to verify what I was seeing was correct, everything matched up have plenty of flow. Just don't understand why, after more than a year, it broke out like this, then when I started using EcoBak, it cleared for a month, and now is back just as bad. Haven't changed a thing...

Oh. Nori sheet every other day for the tangs

Ecobak meaning bio pellets? R u tumbling them in a reactor. Imo the pellets did wat they were supposed to. Wats ur wc schedule?
Wat protein skimmer are u running? An urchin may become one of ur best friends.
U have no sump so all the nutrients and detritus and such are in ur DT and not settling or getting filtered in the sump.
Ur trying to clean it more than enjoy it.
Up the wc schedule. Do more small wcs if u can for a cpl weeks or so. Up the skimmer if it's rated for or under 55g.
Get an urchin to toss in the tank. Pencil, tuxedo, or even a small long spine.

U just need a way to export the nutrient from the tank. Turkey baster ur rocks before ur wcs 2. Hths
D

Yep EcoBak biopellets, tumbling.
Skimmer is a Reef Octopus BH-90.
I've been doing 5g water changes per week. Doing a 15g today.

I would try dosing vinegar...it worked for me.

vinegar_lg.jpg

Back