algae growth :(

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kalristo

so this algae has been growing on my zoa for quite some time. any advice on elminating it?

2lm7vbn.jpg

thanks in advanced!

it looks like you have both bryopsis and cyano going on there...

do you have a bunch of detritus underneath your rocks?
do you run GFO and GAC?
what do you feed?
what do you have for flow?
and of course, what kind of skimmer/filtration do you have?

Last edited:
it looks like you have both bryopsis and cyano going on there...

do you have a bunch of detritus underneath your rocks?
do you run GFO and GAC?
what do you feed?
what do you have for flow?
and of course, what kind of skimmer/filtration do you have?

i believe i do, have them underneath my rocks. its hard to blow off since its a bunch of small rocks stacked on top one another

i feed mysis shrimp spot feed probably once every 2.5 days

for flow im using the mj1200 with the stock hoses that came with the aquapod 12 that shoots in a "V" direction

lastly im using the aqua c remora skimmer skims probably about 1/4 inch since ive purchased it...which was 2 weeks ago.

For bryopsis I've read success when people bump up their Mag to 1500-1600. You can use Kent Tech M.
And for cyano you will need to add more flow to the tank. You can try koralia 1 or nano.

if i start using the kent tech should i pull out any of my live stock or inverts? dont want them dying.

There's a really good thread on another forum. I don't want to post the link here(because it's another forum obviously). I'll PM it to you.

I would use a small media reactor and start by using carbon with some sort of phosphate remover. Try to remove all the smaller rocks in the back of the tank and siphon out the detritus unless you need them there. Also increase flow as suggested and maybe siphon all the cynao on the sand. Manual removal also works good as long as you eliminate the source.

I would use a small media reactor and start by using carbon with some sort of phosphate remover. Try to remove all the smaller rocks in the back of the tank and siphon out the detritus unless you need them there. Also increase flow as suggested and maybe siphon all the cynao on the sand. Manual removal also works good as long as you eliminate the source.

+1. Good advice.

as a professional of bryopsis i can tell you 2 things...

one you can not defeat that algae... and after 5 years you would greatly appreciate other algae's

two your better off disguearding that rock that the bryopsis is on (assumeing its isolated) of just nukeing your tank... i speak with the most regret but bryopsis is the worst thing you could ever wish on a reef tank. in the long run it will be more effecent to start a holding tank to safe some corals and boil that rock... consiter it the worst std your tank could have..

anything else.. do not touch it do not pull it, and theres almost nothing that eats it...

sorry... goo luck

any other algea yes.... but this one no.

its not like normal aglae's

awww come on now, your going to scare the guy....lol

bryopsis CAN be beaten, IS beaten, and WILL be beaten...

I would say the issue can be attacked twofold...

first, it sounds like you need to take out all your live rock to clean out the detritus hanging out. do it hafl a tank at a time so that the fishies have a place to hide...
but I would keep like 3 buckets of water from a water change, (dont siphon detritus for this WC) and then take out each rock individually and scrub the bryopsis off with an extremely firm plastic brush (try home despot in the painting section, for paint removal, should be right next to the steel brushes).
then rinse the rocks in succession in the other buckets to get off any remaining algae/detritus. then of course, clean all the detritus off the sandbed. then after you get everything put back together, you can attack the water parameters that are allowing the byopsis to acheive it's evil foothold in your system.

second, this is where using GAC and GFO, as well as rinsing all brine from frozen foods and stopping use of most dry foods starts...
then the obvious, increased wc's with ro/di (like one every 2 weeks),
increase your mag to 1500 with that pathetic kent product that only serves this purpose in life....lol (otherwise you should never use bottom of the barrel products like kent) and maintain your ph and alk at the higher end of the acceptable spectrum. DO NOT make these chemical changes quickly, instead take several days/weeks to increase these levels slowly.

then as mentioned, you probably need more flow if that much detritus is collecting around your rocks in the first place.... there should be enough flow to keep detritus in suspension in the water column so that the corals can eat it and the filtration can then remove it.

which of course brings me to the inevitable "what kind of skimmer/filtration do you have in your sump"

I agree and I've done it before. So don't get frustrated! You can do it too!

Slow down on the feeding a little (but don't starve the fish), use GAC and GFO is great AND I find doing consistant water changes where I siphon out any detritus under rocks and stuff, helps more than anything else.

Good luck!

awww come on now, your going to scare the guy....lol

bryopsis CAN be beaten, IS beaten, and WILL be beaten...

I would say the issue can be attacked twofold...

first, it sounds like you need to take out all your live rock to clean out the detritus hanging out. do it hafl a tank at a time so that the fishies have a place to hide...
but I would keep like 3 buckets of water from a water change, (dont siphon detritus for this WC) and then take out each rock individually and scrub the bryopsis off with an extremely firm plastic brush (try home despot in the painting section, for paint removal, should be right next to the steel brushes).
then rinse the rocks in succession in the other buckets to get off any remaining algae/detritus. then of course, clean all the detritus off the sandbed. then after you get everything put back together, you can attack the water parameters that are allowing the byopsis to acheive it's evil foothold in your system.

second, this is where using GAC and GFO, as well as rinsing all brine from frozen foods and stopping use of most dry foods starts...
then the obvious, increased wc's with ro/di (like one every 2 weeks),
increase your mag to 1500 with that pathetic kent product that only serves this purpose in life....lol (otherwise you should never use bottom of the barrel products like kent) and maintain your ph and alk at the higher end of the acceptable spectrum. DO NOT make these chemical changes quickly, instead take several days/weeks to increase these levels slowly.

then as mentioned, you probably need more flow if that much detritus is collecting around your rocks in the first place.... there should be enough flow to keep detritus in suspension in the water column so that the corals can eat it and the filtration can then remove it.

which of course brings me to the inevitable "what kind of skimmer/filtration do you have in your sump"

We tried the Kent Mag stuff and it didn't kill the algae...made it change color but it never died off. Also it killed quite a few snails especially the Astreas and I haven't seen our emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp since we used it either so I think it killed them too.

Back