Algae ID HELP!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

Here are a few pics of what we found after coming back from a weekend out of town. Our friend was housesitting for us...taking care of the tanks and other animals and had good instructions which she followed to the letter...and we checked the water params before we left. A little bit of it was noticable when we left...but in the 4 days we were gone it exploded. This area of the tank is getting ALOT of water flow right now due to a pump that will not stay in place and should probably be removed.

Any ID help / advice on whether it's bad or not is greatly appreciated...and I will be reading Nikki's sticky on algae control later today...but wanted to get this out there for some advice while doing so.

Thanks again

Sorry to hear about the algae trouble...:doubt: Looks like brown algae (diatoms) or brown slime algae (dinoflagellates). I'd wait for someone else to confirm first, but in any event, you'd want to (like any other algae) limit any excess nutrients in the tank (nitrates, phosphates etc) and in your case, a nice water change may be really helpful while at the same time, vaccuming/siphoning up as much of the algae as you can. Just a thought...Good luck:)

Assuming you have a skimmer, I would just manually remove the algea and run your skimmer a litte more wet and reduce feeding for a little while.

Back