Algae Identification / extermination

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zurk

Hello,

I have an algae growing in my tank, but, can't seem to identify it. It's a kind of thik / carpet algae. It's not out of control, it grows slowly, the Naso Tang eats a little of it, but ... it's gainning territory. How can I stop it ?
Here are 2 pics (maked in red) of it.
Thanks

Zurk

Zurk, does the algae feel wirey/stiff? Does the base of the algae look like it creeps at all?

I have an algae book, with a red algae resembling your second photo. I cannot, however, find a decent picture of it online. It is called Gelidiella pannosa. The key characteristics in my book are described as: creeping runners with unbranched uprights; top is pointed, blunt when it is grazed on; regrowth from blunt tops is common.

NaH2O,

Its like a carpet, it has a base on the bottom, and is thick pointed, like carpets.
Is creeps all over everything, the thing that fights with it, is the Pavona coral.
Does it says, on your book, what can be used to end it ?

ZRK

No - just general information on the algae. How large is the tank? Do you have any urchins?

I think it is cool! It would make a great foreground alga! Maybe background and frame for something yellow?

Do hermits pick at it?

Do you have other algae in your system somewhere to compete with it?

Could also be rhodophytes or dictyota. These algae also thrive on low nutrient systems so manual removal is a must. This of course if my ID is right :D

Zurk - any chance of getting a closer/better image? A clear shot of the growth, and the base of the plant (how it grows). Also, if you could get a piece out and take a picture against a white piece of paper or white paper towel? It might help to see the growth structure.

Never IDed it, but I dealt with that algae for the entirity of my tank's life. I ended up kalking a lot of it, and then clearing out the rest with a foxface. Once the rock ended up in another tank (without an herbivore that would eat it), the stuff started to grow again. So, while I am not much help on the IDing, I can tell you that I had a hell of a time dealing with it...

Take er easy
Scott T.

I also have that kind...... grows hand in hand with green turf algae in my tank. I can't tell if anyone's eating it, but I don't have as much as in your pictures either. It is kinds pretty, until it grows over everything in your tank ;):badgrin:

For some reason I thought your algae was wiry to the touch? Asparagopsis taxiformis is listed as being fluffy. Regardless of the algae species, let's see what we can do to get rid of it. Do you have a skimmer? How are your water parameters?

Also, I'm not sure if you saw my question eariler. How large is the tank? Do you have any room for an urchin? The article you linked described various algae eaters, and none seemed to make a big difference to the growth. An urchin might help with the job, if your tank is suitable for one. Another option, would be to take the rock out, and chisel off as much as you can, or try to manually remove it the best you can with your fingers.

Hail Nikki.
Yes, the algae is fluffy.
I have a skimmer. I have a 300liters aquaruim. Have room for an urchin, but, doesn't seem to work on the algae.
I'm going to add another cirgion fish.
Let's wait and see ....
Thanks

ZRK

Ugh. I have that stuff in my nano. Its vile...

A Mexican Zebra snail is supposed to be able to kill it.

-Dylan

You can try one of these instead of a tang:

Rabbitfish.jpg

Great algae eaters

I'd like to pull this thread forward. I seem to have this algae in my tank as well and it is quite agressive - It hasn't move quickly, but it is winning over SPS, Star Polyps and covering the pretty purple coraline and replacing it with this bristly reddy brown algae. ACK! SO what eats it in your opinion? I'm going to pick up some turbos... any other ideas?

This is the answer

Hello Shauna,

I also put this thread on other Forum (www.reefforum.net), and I got this answer (I used the translator to put it in English, as I came in Portuguese):

"Peter, the seaweed that you is to chatear is the Asparagopsis taxiformis. Pods to read on it - http://www.aquatouch.com/algae.htm here. It is a seaweed boat, even so not directamente toxica insidiosa for corais(pparently not private allopáticas substances). The illumination and the nitrates and fosfatos do not seem to very influence on its crescimento(seen to appear in aquarios without fosfatos nor nitrates). Curiously the iodine yes. This has been the seaweed that more has chateado me in my aquarium. The problem is that it competes with the coralline one and grasps the sediments hindering its removal. To control I advise the following one: Iodine Kalkwasser and addition regularly. It keeps a high alkalinity. This seaweed very is not appreciated by the herbivoros, excepto a Turbo of the Pacific that is not common to appear in the market and lesmas of the sea of the Elysia type and Dollabela that are enormous for the majority of the aquários.Os fish that in my aquario one more like it are the sohal A., the Z. velliferum and the Salarias fasciatus. The C. strigosus also aid. You have that also to help making manual removal with a brush. The Siganus also likes this seaweed. Cump. Rui"

It can be seen, on: http://www.reefforum.net/showthread.php?t=3690

Hope it helps

Pedro Cruz

with out iding it, you can do a few things to help

water changes,

reduced feeding,

reduced lighting
Im fighting a was ageainst Bryopsis hypnoides.

seems to be the worst

Back