algae in overflow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

motohead

i have an algae prob in my overflow.some is cyano.other is some hair algae.what i have done is cut back on feeding and when i looked at it today i got a bright ,maybe stupid idea.i put a piece of cardboard over the top,cut to fit to block off the light coming from overhead via my vhos.then i taped aluminum foil around the sides of the tank to block ambient light from getting in the sides of the box.has anyone had this problem and how did you deal with it?also,how will the algae react?if,like i am hoping,it passes to the netherworld,can i expect negative effects on my water quality?what kind of imbalance can i expect?surely not some supercycle?lol.thanks for your time.

It should be fine, unless your tank is already on the ragged edge of failure. More than likely not. I am sure the aluminum is not touching the water, that is the only issue I could see. HTH Steve

motohead - have you thought about trying to siphon it out or remove it in some manner? It would be good nutrient export, instead of killing it off and allowing the nutrients to go back into the water.

ya,i am thinkin maybe i should pull the supply pipe out and just clean the thing.what a pain in the butt.i think i will let some more evap take place and then pull the pipe.that way i have more room since the overflow is going to completely empty with the pipe being gone.man,i am lazy.............thanks ya'll

I would leave it motorhead. The reason it is growing thier is that thier is no preditation their, good water movement and some nutrients in the water. Sounds like your working on the nutrients. I would just let it act like a algae scrubber

Mike

mojoreef said:
I would just let it act like a algae scrubber

True - One of my overflows is full of aiptasia, and I'm leaving it alone. As long as they are satisfied there, then they hopefully won't migrate into the tank (*knocking on wood). You probably have a good pod population living in the hair algae, too.

Back