Algae Magnet Cleaner for 3/4'' Acrylic???? Recommendations????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

Just as the title says. If I am going to drop a C note on one I want to be sure it works.

Thanks, Peppie

Look at the Magfloat and New Magscrape. Not too spendy. I buy extra sheets of velcro--heavy duty and just change the pads monthly. Look for a "very strong" magnet set that floats when falls off. I also have the Flip scraper, but it is too weak on the magnetism--gimmickie but works on the lighter green calcerous specky algea.

Magnavore or Algae Clean are both great ones. I am suprised that you're not doing a DIY one. I am making a nano sized version for myself, a replica of a Algae Clean one.

Cheers,
Alex

I had a fleeting thought about that DIY. I need to do somemore research on that. Thanks for the reminder Alex
I do know large magnets can be spendy.

Yeah, I bought one of the Algae Free Piranha mag cleaners for the 65 I am building. But then I decided I needed to make a couple like that so to use on my nano sized tanks.

I used an Algae Free Tiger Shark on my old acrylic tank. Be certain to get the white acrylic safe pads and replace them frequently. You have to be VERY careful that you don't get coral or sand stuck in the pad. A couple grains of sand will wreak havoc on acrylic. I use the same magnet on my glass tank with an Easy Blade attachment. Cleans a tank in minutes.

Mike

Aquanaut, Thanks I will look into them.

fishoutofwater, thanks but OMG. That is a bit more than I expected. They do look good and have many sizes.

macoomer, Thanks for the reply, I will research these also, Thanks for the tips. I have had acrylic in the past, I am very careful about having a clean pad. I have went to barebottoom, so there is very very little sand or coral to deal with.

Back