Algae Mower Vac

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I dont think any of the water needs to leave the tank. What I would do is run the exhaust hose down to the sump and in a filter sock. Keep the return pump running.

how much water is taken out of the tank when you do this?
It doesn't look like any, it appears that the algae goes into and captured by a filter bag and the water flow through. It also comes with a tube so you can pull the water out if your doing a water change and sponges to keep substrate from entering the motor. The only downside that reefs.com said was that sometimes the motor will jam but you can easily clean it out. It looks like they are available from TB Aquatics for $68.95. I might get one and see.

I dont know that I like that thing that is tearing the algae off the rock. It looks like it would send bits and pieces and spores and such all over. Maybe they would get sucked up, but that mesh bag would not catch the real fine particles.

I dont know that I like that thing that is tearing the algae off the rock. It looks like it would send bits and pieces and spores and such all over. Maybe they would get sucked up, but that mesh bag would not catch the real fine particles.

Yeah, that was my only concern about it too. I think it mostly goes up the tube, but I was concerned about what could get through the mesh.

Earl,

where? I didnt see a link

It should be right below my first post. If you go to YouTube and type in Algae Mower Vac, there are several of videos on it from the company. You can also Google Algae Mower Vac and their website will come up and the videos are on there also.

It looks to me like a small power head that has a stick comming out from the impeller shaft and a tube to keep the sucyion at the end of the stick. So just build one from a power head then use a hose and filter sock as Lorrie stated. Tape a stick on and your golden.

This is what I have been looking for to clean my sump. I have the ehiem vacume , but it is not strong enough.

Back