algae or bacteria

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

I was by my LFS today and their coral sales tanks had a bad case of an aglae or bacteria. It was tan and attached to things, it was stringy and flowed with the water flow. Any ideas on what is was and how you would get rid of it if you bought some corals?

I don't think I'd buy from them but if all else fails put them in a QT tank until you can make sure they are clear of any problems. Search under steves QT procedures.

I thought diatom bloom were like a film. This is almost stringy tan almost translucent and was almost 2 inches in lenght flowing in the current

yup it sounds like dinoflagellates. IMO out of all the things you could indroduce into the tank dinos are the worst.

That was my thought. I hope they get it under control because they just opened a 16,000 sq ft LFS with over 100 sale tanks, they are the largest in Northern California now.

They had a smaller store closed it sold off almost everything and started with almost all new equipment. They had to start without their RO/DI system up. I think they rushed to start making some money on their investment and the coral tanks did not cycle long enough. Just my outside opinion They have been in business for over 10 ten years in a much smaller site.

Wow!!!

That wasn't too bright. Throw a whole bunch of stressed out corals into water that is likely phosphate and nitrate-laden. No wonder they got dinoflagellates.

Oh yes, it sure sounds like dino’s to me too.
Unfortunately I know of those descriptions all too well. I’ve been battling them on and off for quite some time now. It’s definitely linked to a high nutrient problem of some kind.

Back