Algae problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlin06

MARLIN
im having a hard time controlling green algae.i vaccum it out .then a week or 2 later,it comes back.i was told it might be my lights.im going to replace them.i havent replaced the bulbs(2 65w actinics and 2 white ones).water quality is good.my polyps have gotten smaller HELP!!!:eek:

Whoever told you it was your lights was relying on mythinformation. Old lights are not any better at growing nuisance algae than new lights.

The algae is there because there are nutrients there.

What is the result of your last nitrate test? (including what test kit and how long ago it was tested)

Same for Phosphate (results, brand of test kit, when tested).

How about displved organics.

Also, tell us a bit more about your setup...Like filtration, skimmer, if you use ro/di water, when the tank was setup etc. That way, it will help us better help you figure out the source of your excess nutrients :)

please tell us more about your tank dood.
it could be many things dood, the more info you give the more people can help you :).

Yet again another tank with algae

I dont know how long you have been into this saltwater addiction but you will soon find out how LITTLE nutrients (among other things) is needed to grow algae.

Feed less
Skim more
Change water more

and then wait
oh and please make sure you are using good reputable kits to do your testing. If you ever tell yourself "ya its close to a 0" then the reading is TOO high and you need a better kit ;)
IMO thank you

I got a phosban reactor to control it and it helps tremendasly. I have a large bio load and without it controlling hairline algae was hell. I did weekly large water changes to get my nitrates/phosphates down and got an R/O machine which is awesome and now I just have occasional flair ups.

My advice:

Skim more
Get phosban reactor to help but not eliminate
weekly larger water changes & less feeding for one month
have lights on 2 hours less if possible until controlled
Definately get R/O machine or use R/O water for phosphates.
There are chemicals but I prefer that as a last resort.

Good luck, you are not alone...
-Alison:)

Hi there Marlin, it doesn't sound like you are overfeeding, if you have stuff in your tank that will eat that food. Do you have any fish? How long has your tank been setup?

Back