Algae- what kind?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mtpvteye

I HAVE ALGEA ON MY ROCK. WENT AND GOT 2 TURBO AND NERITE SNAILS AND I LITTLE CLEANER CRAB. SCARED IT "HAIR" ALGAE. CAN I GET A HANDLE ON WITH A BIGGER CLEANING CREW. WHAT AM I UP AGAINST HERE? I ONLY HAVE ONE PIECE OF LIVE ROCK WITH AWSOME CORALINE ALGAE ON IT AND IT HAS IT TOO. THIS IS A NEW TANK. OH I HAVE A PROTIEN SKIMMER TOO. BEEN SCRAPPING GLASS SO I SUSPECT IT IS THE SAME ALGAE BUT HEARING HORROR STORIES. HELP. LIVE IN MONTANA NO ONE TO CALL!! LOL :confused:

We need a picture to help you ID what type of algae is in your tank. Hair algae isn't the worst thing in the world. Make sure you keep your Nitrates as close to 0 as possible and the algae can be scrubbed off with a toothbrush.

If you have Byropsis you may be better off taking the rock out of your tank nuking it and starting over.

What type of lighting do you have for your tank?

We need a picture to help you ID what type of algae is in your tank. Hair algae isn't the worst thing in the world. Make sure you keep your Nitrates as close to 0 as possible and the algae can be scrubbed off with a toothbrush.

If you have Byropsis you may be better off taking the rock out of your tank nuking it and starting over.

150 metal halide and 2 50/50's and moon lights. looked up byropsis. NOT THAT stuff for sure.

Btw: Nice tanks!! Some day mine will look like that. Right?

Back