Algea and new bulbs-

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
My fight with the hair aglea continues. It has been about 1 year exactly from when I bought my lights. 4 65 PCs. 2 actinic and 2 12000 k.

Now I am going to go with 2 actinics, but I don't see 12000s around, only 10000. Is there something I should know abou this?'

I know that as bulbs get older, nusience algea is enhanced. I also think that its possible that I have left my lights on far too much in the last month. 17 hours sometimes beacuse my timing system was messed up and I had to do it manually and was leaving for work at 6. In the past they were also on a bit too much as well, at least 12 hours.

so I guess replacing the bulbs weould be a good idea- but can I wait on the actinics? I thought that "white" light is at a greater risk for degrading the correct spectrums?

I know that as bulbs get older, nusience algea is enhanced.

I'm not sure this is a fair statement. As a bulb ages, the intensities at all wavelengths decrease. Some wavelengths (often the blue end of the spectrum) decrease more/faster. But I am not aware of any bulbs that have specific wavelengths that increase in intensity as the bulb ages. So, if the wavelengths most responsible for nuisance algae growth are not increasing in intensity, how can the lights themselves enhance nuisance algae?

You'll probably notice an actual increase in algae growth when you replace bulbs. You need to find out the source of nutrients in your tank and correct that problem. I had a similar problem when I let my bulbs age too long, but my hair algae problem began when I replaced the bulbs. I was able to correct the problem by doing a better job at water changes and general maintenance of the tank. Keep in mind that the actinics don't really benefit your corals. They're more for aesthetic reasons. The more light you have in the higher wave lengths, the better off your corals will be.

You'll probably notice an actual increase in algae growth when you replace bulbs. You need to find out the source of nutrients in your tank and correct that problem. I had a similar problem when I let my bulbs age too long, but my hair algae problem began when I replaced the bulbs. I was able to correct the problem by doing a better job at water changes and general maintenance of the tank. Keep in mind that the actinics don't really benefit your corals. They're more for aesthetic reasons. The more light you have in the higher wave lengths, the better off your corals will be.

Did you manage to get rid of the hair once the water was nitrate/other nuitrent free? I can get it down to the rock, but the base of it seems to stay no matter what.

Just make sure that you either remove the rabbitfish, or start feeding it heavily enough to make up for all of the algae that is no longer being naturally provided. I lost one a few years ago because I underestimated how much those vegetarians actually need to eat.

my stupid foxface I bought simply wont eat anything but lettuce!! I am really inraged about it in fact, beacuse he nearly starved to death in a sea of green, and now he jusat makes things much worse as his detritus addition is far greater then the 2 other fish.

I couldn't even believe that I am now stuck with a fish that is literally starving to death, surrounded by algea. I now am feeding him lettuce and other foods to fatten him up, which he annialates.

I don't know what to do, I bought another emerald crap and lawnmower blenny, but they don't even dent it.

Back