Algea or Bacteria Infection?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sgt Fury

First time I've posted a pic in this forum, hope it works..... I have about 50 sps frags in my system with a few larger colonies and have noticed this unusual algea growing at the base of a few of my frags. Anyone have any idea on what this stuff is and how to treat? I've pulled the frags out and scrubbed the stuff off a couple of times and also put super glued over the infected areas but in most cases, it comes back. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear about your sps dood.
I'm not that good at algae id and i'm not a sps expert, but it looks to me like cyano...like i said, i'm not the expert and i wear glasses so take what i'm saying for sure.

Hello,
I can't really tell much from the photo but both algae and cyano bacteria need nutrients to grow. They can be from organics in the water to the coral dying and providing them food. Higher flow often helps to keep the coral clean or at least blow away the dying tissue. What are your tank parameters for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium? Are these corals in areas of high flow? If not, I would try that first.

Regards,
Kevin

Thanks guys, my tank paramaters are as follows:

240 gal
NO3 - >.2, nearly undetectable (all Salfert)
CA - 395
Alk - 9.6
Mg - 1320
Sallinity - .024
ORP - 423

I'm running 2 skimmers EV-120 & ASM G3
GEO Calcium reactor
GEO Kalk reactor

I'll try to post more pics later today. I should have added my tank is nearly 2 yrs old and this stuff is only on a few frags. I've recently added 50 new astrae's in the hope they would correct the problem, but to no avail.

Although your alkalinity and magnesium are a little high they should not cause a problem. I would do a large (50%) water change using RO/DI and see if that helps. Be sure to check the flow around the corals that have the problem and see if it is less that the ones that don't have algae.

HTH,
Kevin

Figured out what was going on... I have 2 skimmers on my 240, an EV-120 and an ASM G3. Well the EV sucked up a small piece of broken plastic which came from the Mag. 5 cover plate. Having nothing to replace the cover plate with, I "jiggled" the impellar thru the now open intake and got it spinning. My new plate should arrive sometime next week. I gotta say I am somewhat surprised by the quick deterioration of the tank with the tank running on only the G3. Oh well, catastrophy avoided, lesson learned. Thanks

Installing a Sea Swirl helped my situation: flow now gets everywhere, and without great violence in current.

I guess I should start another thread but, now that you mention it, I just completed an MJ mod for my MJ1200 and I gotta say.........wow! It sure puts our alot of water! I'll be washing my families laundry in the tank before you know it.

Hey i have seen some tanks that had too much co2 and that cause cyno to kick-in, Do you have a calcium reactor?

Dr. Dee said:
Hey i have seen some tanks that had too much co2 and that cause cyno to kick-in, Do you have a calcium reactor?

Although I dont see ph mentioned. If there was a excess of co2 the tank would have low ph.

Don

Sgt Fury - keep us posted on the progress of the coral. Hopefully soon, we'll see some pics where the algae has died off. Glad you have the skimmer and flow situations sorted.

Back