Algea problems.........

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

37tall

ok here it goes ....the only algea i kow the name for is detrius and hair algea. i really have no problems with detrius but i have a very light lime green grwoing on the top most rocks of my 37 talll... tookum out scrubbed um. it was t=back a week later. then i have a very then filament of brown on the bottom 3rd of my tank . but the very middle of it(the tank) is fine.. what to do....? please comment

First off, how old is your tank? If your tank is new then algea is to be expected. I had a similar problem with my tank, i cleaned it and cleaned it but kept returning, i just ended up waiting for it to go away by itself as the tank matured.

thanks default how old was your tank, mine is a couple months old...i think on the vurge of 3.... so it is fairly new. i just dont want an algea bloom to occur in my tank and it just get to outa hand.

i did sort of over feed in trying to capture a damsel from my tank...and i still cantget the bugger.. but that might be it.. what are some suggestions. ( in the clean up)

Im not sure where your located, if your here in Washington you can borrow a trap from the PSAS(i am not sure on the requirements to be able to borrow a trap). As for clean up crew, dont get Turbo snails, i never had good experience with them, they move and eat slow, they get on your live rock and knock down you corals, they leave some nasty looking turds. I think that Nassarius Snails is a good choice, they live in the sand most of the time and clean the sand, they also stir up your sand. Another good clean up snail is the Stomatella varia, these are some of the best in algea control. These are a good start, if anyone else has ideas different from mine they will chime in.

Bummer on the algae:doubt: but with tank maturity as already suggested, it will subside given you don't over feed, you use ro/di water and do your regular water changes (just to name a few). The algae that it sounds like you are experiencing
very then filament of brown
sounds like diatoms that is common with newly setup tanks. Once there is a food source for it to grow, it will which includes excess phosphates, nitrates, silicates in the water and so forth. Are ou using ro/di water?If not, I would start using it as regular tap usually has all the goodies that the algae will use a food source. Also, try and cut back on teh over feeding:)

Back