algee problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jsmkmavity

i have been working on my algee problem,( i think it is a form of cyano) rusty red, air bubbles, etc. i was wondering if anyone has noticed an odor associated with this problem? it is not like skimmer bad odor but it definitely has a distinct odor, whereas i never had any odor in my tank before.

Yes, I can smell cyano bacteria as well. It is a very noticable odor to me. I dont think everyone can smell it. I dont know if you know this or not but only some people can smell the odor that eating asparagus make pee smell like. Most people dont have the receptors for it. The reason I mention that, is my customer that had cyanno bad, couldnt smell it at all. I had her put her nose over the tank and sniff, and nothing. Where it was obvious to me.

How are your water parameters? Other tank specs? What have you tried so far to get rid of the cyano?

How old is your tank? Bought any new rock lately? Is the cyano all over the tank or just in an isolated area?

ph-8.3, phosphates-0, nitrates- 20+, sp. gravity 1.024, calcium 450, oxygen-7or8, iodide+iodate normal, coarse aragonite bed 3"-4", 125+ lbs. live rock. bioload is well under any limits, some snails and small hermits, bristle worms, pods, tank is about 6 months old but rock and sand and most of the fishes have been together for 2 years or more. no sump yet and flow is about 15x, 2-96 watt 50/50 p.c.'s + 1 actinic 28 watt, temp about 78, active protein skimmer, 125 gal. tank. algee in isolated areas on sand and rock, ive been brushing and siphoning and cleaning filters every 2-3 days to lower nitrates and remove algee. nitrates were stable but higher previously.

Last edited:
Have you considered using a different kind of algae to use up the nitrate so the cyanno has less to use? Chaeto works well.
Here is a problem with cyanno, it has been around for a long long time, it is at the very begining of the fossil record. It has the ability to fix nitrogen from the air to make its own fertilizer. It is a extremely hardy critter.

i would like to try that but i have no sump or fuge yet, so where would i put the chaeto? thanks for the idea. im going to turn the lights off for a day or two, idea from another reefer in this thread. thanks again!

As you continue to lower nitrates, try redirecting your flow. While you have good GPH flow, cyano likes any slow spots. Try to make sure that there are none.

GL,

i know that most reefers use ro/di water religiously but i have had good success with aged tap water for about 2 years before i moved everything to the 125. clorine will evaporate sediment will settle and nsw contains some clorine, then mechanical filtration and supplements take over. i am thinking about going bb, has anyone done this with a a small container of sand for a shrimp goby or sea pen etc...?

You can always test your premixed salt water for nitrates prior to a water change (and phosphates). It might be contributing to your nitrates, but perhaps not....would be good to rule it out introducing nitrates at a water change. In the part of the country where you're at, you may be able to get away with using tap water. I wouldn't have as good of luck, as the water here is horrible! I'm talking TDS of 490s+ after the water softener, and the chloramines are really high.

While I've heard of folks making sand boxes for their BB tanks, I don't think I've read of one being used for a Goby and Shrimp pair (mostly anemones or wrasses that like to sleep in the sand). It would be hard to decide where they would best like the location of the sandbox.

Hope this helps!

would like to try that but i have no sump or fuge yet, so where would i put the chaeto? thanks for the idea. im going to turn the lights off for a day or two, idea from another reefer in this thread. thanks again!
I also have no sump or refugium so I designed an algae trough that sits above the water to the rear just under the lights. The algae is forced to grow in the trough because the growing conditions are better than in the tank. The water is fed from the skimmer and the trough is slanted so the water runs fast, there is also a plastic window screen which is infused with cement at the bottom (algae loves cement) Algae grows in the tray and not in the tank. My nitrates are zero and the tank is over three decades old.
Paul

Back