alk testing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

H

holdendaniel

so i tested my alk with 3 differnt test kits 1 i got about 5 meq(seachem), 1 about 12 dkh (elos), the other i cant remeber what i got(at work) what test kit do you like to use for alk....i have a elos as well as api and seachem lol

Heh, I have tested with several brands a few months ago, the thread is around here somewhere.
I got very different results from the different brands.
I decided to go with Elos in part because I had two test kits from them that always matched each other though the dates were 6 months apart.
I figured at least they were consistant.

Salifert alk tests come with a standard solution so that you can test your test kit to make sure the chemicals are right and that you aren't doin it wrong. Does the elos come with one of those too?

I'd trust the elos over the other two btw, unless the seachem and API both read the same.

Last edited:
Nope, the elos does not have a test solution.
I tried two salifert kits, one was pretty close to the test solution, and the other was WAY off. I rather like the test method that they use, but they seemed inconsistent.
It sounds like they are getting things back together, and I would like to give them a try again in the future.

I've found my salifert to be quite precise but all I have to compare it to is API. My only complaint is the writing rubs off the syringe after a couple dozen uses, but they are cheap.

More than once though I haven't paid attention and used the calibration solution instead of the test solution to titrate and started to panic when instead of turning pink around 8dkh it stayed blue through 9, 10, 11, 12... Gets your heart going a bit lol.

Interesting. I've been using an API and nothing else. Now I'm curious as to what my dKh actually is. No standard test solution. I think I'll buy something with a standard next.

the dKh test kit is (from my understanding) just an acid titration. You keep adding drops of acid and the carbonates in your water go from Bicarb -> carbonate -> carbonic acid. Once it all goes to carbonic acid, which occurs at a specific pH, there is a color change by using an indicator that changes at given pH. So, it seems that running a standard along side would be a very reassuring sign...

thanks yea i have been all flustered because i have the 3 differnt kits to test against but they all test in a differnt way...none test for the same element..dkh,meq? is there a more advanced test kit rather then these hobby ones like pro status

Hey DJ,
I think if you are in the ball park with any of the better test kits, and keep the alk stable you should be good to go.
The kits all give you the alk, but how they get there can differ. dkh and meq are units of measure, not a product.

Hey DJ,
I think if you are in the ball park with any of the better test kits, and keep the alk stable you should be good to go.
The kits all give you the alk, but how they get there can differ. dkh and meq are units of measure, not a product.

you busy tonight todd wanna talk fish drink a couple cold ones?

I use elos for all my testing except KH, for that I use api. The elos KH is too hard to see the color change.

I'm with you on how tough it is to see the change with the Elos kit, I hold it up to the white wall while swirling to see the change.

The Elos change is obvious. It goes from blue to near orange. If you are only waiting for it to just barely change I can see why you would be frustrated with the Elos. Try testing again and waiting for the color to stop changing, Blue to Orangeish.

I have always used API and started Elos recently. Elos is harder to see color change. API is much easier, but people told me API is not as accurate as other test kits. I'm ok with approx and as long as it's stable.

Wait till the new Salifert comes out more accurate than any of them. It is being run through none other than Millero Labs for testing and verification.

Back