alkalinity monitor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fatjusto

I am just wondering if there is an easy digital instrument which can be used to measure alkalinity. Just wondering what everyone here uses

Cheers
Justo

Agreed with Don. A decently accurate titration kit is usually the way to go (Salifert, Hach, LaMotte ect). Probes are in constant need of calibration, cleaning and replacing. Digital equipment is generally a little more accurate but by no means more convenient.

Agreed with Don. A decently accurate titration kit is usually the way to go (Salifert, Hach, LaMotte ect). Probes are in constant need of calibration, cleaning and replacing. Digital equipment is generally a little more accurate but by no means more convenient.

Unless you are COLORBLIND, of course!:p

(Sorry I just had to add that--last month my office was striving to improve product usability for our visually-impaired customers.)

But I guess if someone were truly color-blind,
they probably wouldn't be very interested in the hobby as a whole,
Corals, fish, inverts, etc. don't garner nearly as much excitement when seen in shades of gray....:lol:

Unless you are COLORBLIND, of course!:p

(Sorry I just had to add that--last month my office was striving to improve product usability for our visually-impaired customers.)

But I guess if someone were truly color-blind,
they probably wouldn't be very interested in the hobby as a whole,
Corals, fish, inverts, etc. don't garner nearly as much excitement when seen in shades of gray....:lol:

:lol: We have colormeters for the color blind folks. I have to use one to test for P. They are really just a test kit but use a meter to see the color and give you a measurement.

Don

I use Salifert to keep an eye on alkalinity as well. Very good brand for any type of testing needed.:)

:lol: We have colormeters for the color blind folks. I have to use one to test for P. They are really just a test kit but use a meter to see the color and give you a measurement.

Don

Can you use the colormeter with the Salifert Phosphate kit?
That thing is impossible to read!

(I make the single batch, then the doublebatch--and still can't note the subtle color change!)

I finally give it to my wife to look at...she's no help either!
(and this is a woman who can tell the difference between the "red-orange" and "orange-red" crayola crayons just by looking at the worn-down nubs!)

Thanks crew, how often are you checking it? Given my tank is new what do you think is good protocol

In my opinion, it all depends on your particular setup. Some people dose with alk and so they have to test daily to find what doseages are needed to maintain the level of alk they are shooting for. Once that is achieved, then testing can be done every week or 2 (maybe even longer) depending on if any new corals are added that might consume a bit more alk (which means you may need to adjust your alk doseages) or if corals are removed that may have been using up some alk and therefore doseages may need adjusting again. Just my 2 cents on how I go about things. May not be the absolute right way, but works for me:)

Back