Alk 14.4
Salt 1.025
ORP 453
Phos 0
Calcium 440
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40

My big concern is the alkalinity. My PH has been low (and I did the test the water inside/outside to see if it is room CO2 and it wasn't) so I have been using part B of the Kent Marine 2 part buffer system to work on the PH.

2 weeks ago the calcium had been 560, so now I would say it is in the normal range.

Nitrates are too high, but I am doing a water change tomorrow and that should take care of the Nitrates.

What do I do about the alk, never had it that high?

Thanks for helping!

The water change will also help take care of the alk. Otherwise, let it come down on its own.

As far as using a buffer as a solution to pH, don't. The effects of pH from an alk suppliment are temporary. What does your pH normall run at? 7.9 is fine IMO. Try opening a window for a while (I know its cold), pointing a powerhead at the water's surface to get agitation, turn down the CaRx if you have one.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

I don't run a calc reactor...so that isn't part of the equation. I have tried the open window and testing the same water inside and outside of the house...no change. I have two Tunze powerheads (6055/6045) and one agitates the surface and the upper layer of water in the tank, so hopefully have that covered. Tomorrow is the water change so Iwill retest the alk to see what the effect is.

As for what my typical readings of PH are between 7.7 and 7.9, mostly around 7.8.

Thanks for your help Snowboarda42

You need to put the water outside fo 24 hrs under heavy aeration.
With the Alk that high and the pH that low there is crap loads of CO2 in the water, ~ 3 ppm and NSW is ~ 0.5 ppm

Thank you. I will put the "water change container" outside with aeration.

About a month ago. I will do it again today and post if there is a difference.

This is just downright embarassing....the ph cal was off and it is now registering at 8.04, best check the temp as well.

Back