Alternating Flow Benefits

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

Right now I have 2 koralia 4's in my 40g. The flow is pretty good, but straight forward. I've been thinking of getting a vortech, but what are the benefits of having the alternating flow that vortechs can produce.

well i dont know anything about vortechs, but i know that alternating flow is good for your system. If for nothing else than kicking up and keeping detrius in the water so it can be filtered/skimmed out.

I have my koralias, skimmer output, and sump return set up in a swirling pattern. it keeps junk in the water for a long time, allowing it to be removed. i also move my powerheads around from time to time to keep things interesting. When i think of the ocean i picture a turbulent environment of swirling and unpredictable flow.
I know plenty of guys who have high powered power heads set up on timers to come on at 15 min intervals, just to spool things up a bit.

a chaotic flow pattern has helped my tank out a lot.

The alternating flow or variable flow is a good thing for the reasons that Erik has pointed out. Let me elaborate a little though....If you put sand in a tank and put a powerhead in there the sand will find a settling place somewhere after a period of time. Now, if you put another powerhead in there and alternate them the sand will move from place to place sometimes in suspension. This is what you want to happen in your tank with detritus. The more you can keep it in suspension the better chance you have of removing it before it breaks down.

As for the vortech....I love mine. They are expensive, but the ability to set different wave settings is great. I vary mine occasionally just to see how the fish and corals react. You also get an undertow effect that pulls water back to the pump which aids in keeping detritus in suspension and also providing flow down low in the tank without disrupting a sand bed too much. Finally, if you have a black back on the tank the vortech all but dissapears from view. Once again, very expension (IMO), but a cool toy if you have the means.

Flow helps keep things suspended like others say to keep your filters/skimmers working properly. With right water quality flow will produce stronger coral structures. For example the water flows one direction pushing coral one way, then opposite direction pushing coral the other way. Corals react to this by building stronger tissue much like a Thai fighter builds extra calcium on his bones to prevent damage. The bodys of corals adjust by utilizing calcium where needed building stronger corals.

the only thing i could think of with alteration of flow... is detritus remove and stirr effect.

not a wave maker..

just turning your power heads weekly back and forth from 1, 2 , or 3 different positions will make for a clean tank. you will notice that as you do... stuff gets stirred up,

One more point is that the corals need to feed. All corals feed on detritus and the bacteria associated with that. A problem they have (specially sps) is that they arent that good at it. Most all use mucus netting (spit out a glob of mucus, stuff attaches and then they suck it in) so the more passes detritus makes passed the coral the better the odds are for it to catch and then capture it.

Mike

Reedman,

I am going to have to comeby and see the vortech in action before I decide to buy a set up. I didn't know anyone here used those, guess I do now. :)

Alex

u dont really understand how much flow there is until u dive in the ocean when its not the best conditions for diving u get dragged around but the zoas and the pocci are just loving it and the tubestreas are all open and i mean open 3-4cm extension

Reedman,

I am going to have to comeby and see the vortech in action before I decide to buy a set up. I didn't know anyone here used those, guess I do now. :)

Alex

You're welcome to come by sometime. Just need to let me know when. Heck, you'll be coming by to get the stuff from the reeftopia buy anyway....check it out then.

You're welcome to come by sometime. Just need to let me know when. Heck, you'll be coming by to get the stuff from the reeftopia buy anyway....check it out then.

Thanks Reedman. Yeah I guess I will be seeing you for the Reeftopia p/u. :)

Alex

u dont really understand how much flow there is until u dive in the ocean when its not the best conditions for diving u get dragged around but the zoas and the pocci are just loving it and the tubestreas are all open and i mean open 3-4cm extension

Couldn't be more true. I have scuba dived in both Washington and the Carribean and can say that when the tides start changing... The waves get going. And the diver starts to get thrown around. :D

Alex

too true spllbnd2 and then imagine there i am trying to hold on to a rock and with a bucket on arm crowbar and axe trying to get zoas while not being battered by the swell on to other rocks and then of course putting the corals in to the bucket i swear u need 4 arms for this job

too true spllbnd2 and then imagine there i am trying to hold on to a rock and with a bucket on arm crowbar and axe trying to get zoas while not being battered by the swell on to other rocks and then of course putting the corals in to the bucket i swear u need 4 arms for this job

Now that sounds like a real beating just to get the corals. I guess I am luck that when I was getting beat against the rocks I had a arm free to push away with.

Alex

Back