alternative water/first test kit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

probe dms

ok so i just got my first test kit and i tested out my tank. here goes.
ph 7.9
ammonia .25
nitrite .25
nitrate .40
ok i know these numbers may seem alarming and....yeah im alarmed!. i dont have a ro unit, nor will i be getting one anytime soon. any one have any suggestions to what i can use for my water change to make it ok. should i get bottled water? distilled maybe?

Those numbers aren't alarming at all if your tank is still cycling. From the numbers given, it would appear to me that it is still cycling. Distilled water would be good if you don't have an RO/DI unit. There's also the option of purchasing RO/DI water from an LFS you trust. Depending on the levels of your tap water, you may be fine using it. There are people who have good enough tap water to use....though it's not common. Take some tap water to a trusted LFS to have it tested. From what I know, your source water shouldn't cause any ammonia. Ammonia is going to be caused by something in the water decomposing.

yep still cycling. and this is my first test kit ever. Even though my family has managed to keep tanks going for years, we've never owned one. I'm glad i do now. also with the tap water i'm using now, can i use the ph test that came with the test kit?.

Last edited:
Well, unless you're using a freshwater pH test kit, you'll need to mix salt into your tap water to the correct SG and then test pH. If you're still cycling, your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite numbers aren't due to your water source. What you'll want to test for in your tap water is posphates, tds and for metals. If you have copper pipes, make sure you run your water for a few minutes before using any for your tank. We're all glad you own a tank now too!! Go slowly, be very patient and this will be as rewarding a hobby as it is for the rest of us!!!

Back