Alternatives to Protein Skimmers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ken Fledman's

Ken would get a charge out of that :lol:

Dr. Ken Feldman

I do no know if there is or will be a MANCA in-print thing. This is his older article. Be ready here tang is is very, very deep :)

Feature Article: Total Organic Carbon (TOC) and the Reef Aquarium: an Initial Survey, Part I
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/8/aafeature3/view?searchterm=ken feldman

Feature Article: Total Organic Carbon (TOC) and the Reef Aquarium: an Initial Survey, Part II
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/9/aafeature2/view?searchterm=ken feldman

This is more of what was in his talk and his new article

THE DEVELOPMENT OF A METHOD FOR THE
QUANTITATIVE EVALUATION OF PROTEIN SKIMMER
PERFORMANCE
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/pdf/AdvancedAquarist-2009-01.pdf

24 /7, reactor, change once / month

Do, not add all this GAC in one shot if you are not using GAC at all. Start out with 1/4 ==> 1/3 == > 1/2 all / 50 gal. To much at once can give corals a sudden low nutrient level shock.

Good Information Boomer, I like the carbon media in a reactor, they seem to work better than just dumping in a sock with carbon. I do like skimmers for the aeration, it works very well for that purpose but I went without a long time & can't say having it was better than not. It all came down to removing waste through good siphoning, Wc's & cleaning regularly.

Yep, this is an easy question imo. Sure you can get away with no skimmer just fine. Just spend money on a gfo reactor, monthly gfo changing or weekly water changes and salt cost. The costs outweigh buying a skimmer one time. Just my .02 I don't do water changes, i don't do gfo and my sps reef is rockin

Even with a rocking skimmer, it depends on your bio load and input load whether a water change is going to be beneficial or not. and 9 times out of 10, tank changes are beneficial. How old is your SPS tank??

Bout 4 yrs old. Done maybe two water changes. No more than 10% each. I do my water changes in my skimmate.

Hi Boomer, didn't have the pleasure of running into you at MACNA and use the secret code to verify membership :badgrin:..

I think Ken's presentation was great and I am not relying on the skimmer as main DOC export tool now, I upped my water change to 10% every two weeks. Ken's presentation on skimmer comparison was based on weight per dollar of skimmer cost, the BK was not the worst in DOC volume\weight removal, but the high price tag made it not as effective on a per dollar spent basis.

The Bubble King was the worst skimmer there was when coming to removing organics, like DOC. The best skimmer was an air stone operated, discontinued, skimmer from Precision Aquatics. ]

As for carbon change recommendation, 30 days between changes is not too long?

Sorry I'm late here I missed this last post somehow cali

30 days is fine if it is a reactor as there are kinda self-cleaning. If in a canister then remove 1/ wk and rinse it well while tumbling the GAC in a mess bag and then put back in and exchange 1/ m.

the BK was not the worst in DOC volume\weight removal

Are you sure about that, forget the cost.

I use ROX Carbon when I remember to order it. Seems to work 50 times better then other stuff. If I need it asap then I use Black Diamond Carbon.

Back