Aluminum Welding?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spllbnd2

Anyone near Edmonds have the capability to do aluminum welding? I know most aluminum welding should be done with tig and argon. I haven't checked around the muffler shops yet and all we have at the dealership I'm at is oxy acetylene.

I am looking for price to weld up a 36" x 18" x 3/16" thick angle bracket into a square.

Cheers,
Alex

Hey Alex, I did alot of looking around to see who or where to weld up my LED light frame. It seems there is really just two options TIG & MIG using 100% Argon or a minimum of 80% Argon w/ maximum of 20% Helium. Glen's Welding near Alderwood mall off 164th is willing and able to do mine if jigged up on plywood but estimated 2 hours shop time @ $110/hr plus materials...ouch! But have decided to go ahead and bite the bullet to have it done by pros.

Todd

P.S. I tried for two plus months to find someone here on RF to help or even have appropriate equipment to no avail. Called many welding shops/ welders but most do not weld aluminium? Or not willing to take on my little project.

Last edited:
sorry i could not find anyone todd......i can refer you to smiley's inc...360-424-7338 ask for bob...he will run about 75 an hour...awesome job he does all the firetrucks for seattle north

Thanks Todd. I forgot about Glenn's out in Lynnwood. For shop time price I figure I could rent a argon tank and use MIG if necessary. I've done a fair amount of welding in my time and really do good with a MIG set up. Of course I could just do steel and have it powdercoated too.

I'm going to check with my friend who owns a shop here in Edmonds and see if they are set up for aluminum welding. I don't think they are, but you never know. :D

Looks like I know what my near future may hold... TIG welder. *lol*

I hear that Clear Fabrications, Inc. in Seattle has a spool gun for their Miller 210. You might want to give them a call or PM. They are a RF sponsor. Jason

I hear that Clear Fabrications, Inc. in Seattle has a spool gun for their Miller 210. You might want to give them a call or PM. They are a RF sponsor. Jason

SWEET!!! THx Jason. I'll send you a PM along with a photo of what my project is and maybe we can get something worked up.

to bad you guys arnt closer i have a miller 350P mig and miller Dynasty water cooled TIG set up for aluminum i wouldn't charge you a dime

Hey guys, Yakima isn't that far away. If you both carpooled it could make some sense. Just a thought :D.

Hey guys, Yakima isn't that far away. If you both carpooled it could make some sense. Just a thought :D.

*lol* Almost tempting. 3 hours each way though. And then time to weld everything up.

Nate thank you and let me talk to (strong arm ) Alex and see if he is up for a road trip/ visit. Since we currently have almost 16 hours of daylight a road trip down the East slope would be fun.

Alex, I'm willing to drive if your up to it lets talk to our better halves and see what day would work out best for all. Nate since Alex and I are temporarily retired what days do you have off or what time do you get home? I'll shoot you a pm with my cell # so we can discuss details and thanks again for offering. Would really like to see/ learn TIG welding.

Cheers, Todd

Todd, Thanks for the offer. I'll have to check with the boss. I'm sure it would be fine. We will have to hash out all the details before I can commit to anything.

Cheers,
Alex

i m working 5 12's right now and get the weekends off. Both TIG welders and the 350P are on a job site so i just got to get the TIG back to the shop on a Friday if you head this way.

shoot me a pm if your interested.

this weekend is my girlfriends birthday weekend i guess. i get a day she gets the whole weekend i m sure you know how that goes.

All to well after 18 years, and OK as I am going out for opening day of Chinook Salmon rain or shine. Even giving up my ticket to the Eddie Vedder concert hope I end up catching at least one! Alex and I will figure out something then shoot you a pm.

Todd

I probably wouldn't be available myself until after the first of the month. Still need to check the price on angle AL and pick it up if it's not to expensive.

Cheers,
Alex

Took a welding course back in college. The single atom oxide layer on aluminum is very hard to penetrate. From my understanding the only way to weld aluminum is with TIG.

I don't have a machine, but I have a book you can borrow that will tell you how to do it if you are familiar with TIG (need special settings to get it done right.) Anyway, it has great pictures.

Good luck.

rob

Thanks Rob for the offer. I too thought TIG was the only way to weld aluminum but, Mig also works as long as you use 100% Argonor up to 20% mix of Helium with it annnnd you clean all parts with Acetone < 8 hours of welding to break down that oxide layer. When I planned out my LED build then cut all the aluminum had no idea how hard it would be to find someone to weld it for me or be able to do it myself. Even looked into buying a TIG setup but, seems like anything worthwhile would cost $1500 or more.

Todd

Back