Joe's Wet Dream, A 550 Gallon Work In Progress

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Epaulette Shark, Coral Rabbitfish and other 600 goings on

I picked up an Epaullette Shark for the 600 back in July, he's still very shy and nocturnal, I can be found every other night around midnight with my red astronomy flashlight feeding him, Scott Michaels says he is the best shark around for our hobby, he's got a small mouth and lives mainly on worms and such, hopefully he won't deveop an appetite for Flame Angels as he approaches 3 feet, we shall see. Here's a couple of photos, he's currently around 14 inches long, he's grown a couple of inches and is eating well on a conglomeration of assorted seafood counter glop. I bought 6 feet of 2" dia cold cast acrylic tubing to make a feeding tube to direct the glop right to him, I think it is taming him somewhat. Here are a couple of lousy photos, I'll try to get better ones down the road.
P1000350.jpg

P1000352.jpg

This gives a rough idea of the feeding tube setup, I used a small butane torch to heat the other end of a three foot tube and minipulate the acrylic out into a flared funnel like opening, I shove frozen chunks in that end and then place it in the tank as shown, the glop thaws rapidly, then I pounr a coupleof cups of tank water into the flared end and the food goes down right to the bottom, ends up right where you direct it rather than going all over the tank. My CL's are shut down at night now so that also helps with the target feeding concept...
P1000389.jpg

Here's a few pics of an Coral Rabbitfish that Jesse gave me a couple of months ago as he was outgrowing his tank. He is a beautiful fish, I identified him at first as a Siganus corallinus, but as his coloration has continued to develop I'm fairly certain that he is a tetrazonus, the Indonesian Coral Rabbitfish. He's almost as big as my Vlamingi, they battled it out quite a bit the first couple of weeks, one day I observed several lesions on the side of the Vlamingi, then I noticed that the fleshy covering on several of the rabbitfishes venomous dorsal spines were peeled back. Since that day the Vlamingi has been on his best behavior and peace and harmony has reigned, having been stung by a rabbitfish myself I can understand why.....
P1000446.jpg

P1000467.jpg

P1000489.jpg

P1000494.jpg

As you can imagine I go through an insane amount of Nori, I started buying 2000 sheets at a time direct from a California importer, Safeway was getting 2 expensive since I was using at least 5 sheets a day...
P1000482.jpg

P1000480.jpg

P1000483.jpg

WOW!! I would say you have a few fish in there! Thanks for the updated shots. The fish all look very well fed!

I do have a mob of fish, they bunch together whenever I am near the tank, I suppose the many daily feedings might cause that, it's not as crowded as the photos look since there is 6 feet of depth looking back and they all tend to come up to the front... Here are a few more fish shots...
P1000488.jpg

P1000485.jpg

P1000491.jpg

I tried to get all 3 rabbitfish in one decent shot, best I could do before I ran out of patience....
P1000436.jpg

P1000441.jpg

Here's a ticking time bomb.....
P1000443.jpg

Latest RBTA Fuge Shots...

This is what the fuge is looking like after 10 weeks, every reef system should look like this 3 months after the water goes in, right???
P1000398.jpg

P1000403.jpg

P1000404.jpg

P1000416.jpg

Jan, I feel terrible that your Clarkiis have to endure such crappy living conditions...
P1000408.jpg

P1000409.jpg

P1000412.jpg

P1000414.jpg

P1000415.jpg
Sorry Eric, but look at how happy he is....
P1000422.jpg

Yay, yay, yay! I'm so happy to see those guys (from a distance). :lol: They are in Clarkii heaven, looks like. Just last night as I was scraping coraline algae off my tank walls, and my arm was next to my pair of true percs...I couldn't help thinking how nice it was not to have Stevie-Wonder (the formerly blind Clarkii) trying to take a chunk out of my arm...:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for posting the photos, Joe. Tanks and fish are looking great. I'm also glad to see that my missing goby ended up in your system. I was hoping he made it.

Last edited:
Thanks Jan, I should have let you know about the goby, just slipped my mind, he is having a great time. I thought the little Clarkii died, he vanished for almost a month, then he reappearred as though nothing had happed, could he have been guarding some eggs or something weird like that? I'm assuming the females are the larger ones, but I haaven't done any research on them yet.

Thanks for the offer Erik, I will take you up on that when things are a little more established, I'm going to put some LPS and Softies in the 600, my SPS frags did not fare well, some strange malady did a lot of them in, I think it was some kind of disease introduced by the 16 pymy angels and the goldflake angel, they were doing well until then (oh yeah, the May temp spike didn't help either...)

Thanks for all the encouraging words and PM's from all of you, best regards, Joe

Your tank is totally beautiful!!! Love the insanity of the fish frenzy. Lucky you get to enjoy that dailly!!!

Thanks Roscoe, I've been trying to write this short response for several minutes, can't take my eyes off the fish, nonstop activity, they constantly interact, it is way cool...I watched a pair of flame angels in some kind of spawning/courtship behavior for quite a while last night, after the halides were off and just the actinic vho's were on they did this elaborate dance from the bottom of the tank to the surface, repeatung it many times. As I am writing this one of the eheim auto feeders just dumped a small amount of Hikari S pellets in, the periodic feedings (8 of them per day) always elicits a frantic feeding response from all the residents, getting fed without the presence of a big ol human leads to a lot more activity, lack of intimidation I suppose......

Wow!! Im glad he finally started showing his true colors for yah =) He sure looks happy..... And gigantic....Looks like hes really enjoying the move from the 125 to the 600. Thanks for lettin him move in again! Your tanks are lookin awesome.

He'd be happier with all the aptasia I have for him to eat.... I think he may starve now that you dont have anything for him to snack on...Oh well, maybe he'll start eating Rose Bubbles???? I think you have too many of those anyways.. :)-

Hello all, I'm sorry I've been totally neglecting my friends at RF, trying to keep up with a 2 year old with my 55 year old body is my excuse:D I took a bunch of photos to post last month, I just realized I never got them past photobucket. I'll give you a shout Eric, haven't talked for a while, I hope all is well. The CBB in question it turns out has no interest in aiptasia, I've had to break out the Joes Juice in my 150, I had peppermint shrimp in the last tank with him, they must have been doing the anemone control. The RBTA's have taken over as I hoped, I'll get those photo's up ASAP

Hey Joe,

Hopefully the tank is doing good. Really would like to contact you for something. If you get this shoot me a PM so that I can give you more details.

Back