Am3gross in the house!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Am3gross

Hello and I am a reef a holic!! Been in the reef scene for 10 years and have had my current set up for about 6 years... However I did just to a complete tear down and re do.. Went on a 7 month deployment and when I got back it did not look the greatest.. Here is what I have. 210 aga with dual overflows75 gallon sumpFlow is done with 2 mp40sSkimmer is a dual recirc octopus skimmerAnd lighting is done with 3/250 watt halidesJust started adding live stock and so far I have a ponape birdsnest frag, a bluish birdsnest frag 3 yellow tangs, a gold stripe maroon clown that has been with me for about 5 years, and 2 green Rbta... I look forward to the many of posts that I can help with and I look forward to having another great resource to help me out with my hobby...

I'd love too! I think it could do a lot better then it has been honestly.... I have not been able to find much info and how to mod it.... I am assuming u have some ideas?

For the life of me I can't figure out to put pictures up... If you google octopus dual recirculating skimmer it will be the 8 th picture from left to right... Looks like the very first picture except mine has the thicker screw type neck like in the 8 th picture

Welcome aboard AM3 and I fixed things up a bit so you can now post pictures. Looking forward to it.

Mike

Welcome to RF again!! Hope you enjoy it here and looking forward to seeing some pics!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef Octopus Dual 10″ Recirculating Skimmer | CoralVue

so from the looks of the newer version of your skimmer, there is both new better pinwheel impellers, and potentially the new venturi's (along with plumbing manifold if its still the same size).
you could either contact coralvue directly for the parts,
or you could meshmod the impellers and mod better venturi's for the pumps yourself,
which basically means boaring out the existing airpost for the venturi and replacing it with one twice as large with a thicker silicone hose attached to allow more air than the existing venturi.
meshmod-clipedimpeller.jpg

meshmod-impeller1.jpg

skimmerpics024.jpg

skimmerpics026.jpg

skimmerpics010.jpg

Skimmy!!!!!I want to thank you for this very helpful info.. I took my skimmer offline to take a look and my venturis were clogged pretty good... I did take and drill out the Venturi slightly on both pumps as I don't have the material to do the mod or the bigger venturis. But it is on my todo list now that I seen what making them a little bigger does... I am going to research a little more on the stuff that coral he makes and maybe just buy there stuff... But the little that I did today and this thing is running amazingly well... Again thank you!

Am3gross,

First, thank you for your service.
Second, Welcome to RF !!! you will find people here friendly and very helpful.

Third, Skimmy is the guru of skimmers. I think he has tested just about every darn skimmer out there.

AM3, welcome to the site and there is a lot of good info on here. You will find that people on here are more then willing to offer help. Were you eligible for the test this last thursday? If so good luck.

AE1

Actually I took the first class test last week... I stick with am3 just because I am getting old and forgetfull so I keep the same name for all the forums I'm on... Hopefully I did well.... But I'm not counting on it just yet... Thanks all for the warm welcome.. !

here you go, this is for the impeller mod...
BRA Ultimate Mesh Mod Kit - Barrier Reef Aquariums
and for the venturi mod,
for the airline post i would suggest just using about 2" of a bic pen body, and a 1/4" silicone hose for the air.
1/4" i.d. Pure Silicone Tubing, per foot

but as i mentioned, you should call coralvue directly and see what they say about the venturi, because if you could just buy a new one that might be best. and for that matter same with the new yellow plastic pinwheel impeller... mesh mods can be tricky and can overheat a pump if not done correctly.
i could walk you through the whole process though, just depends upon how handy you are. if you can dremel your knuckles, you can do this!! lulz

Thanks Skimmy I found the impeller for 45 bucks.. I don't know about the enkmat stuff just yet.. I may buy new pumps on try it on these older pumps.. I don't want to go with out a skimmer because I do something crazy! I am thinking about the making the Venturi bigger though.. I think that me drilling it out really helped it out and I am pretty sure that I can handle making it a little bigger.. Again thanks for all your help...

Back