• Tennis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Golf

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
From dictionary.com:

Sport: -noun; an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Athletic: -adj; of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.

Athlete: noun; a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

So... beer gut drag racers... athletes? Hmm... there is agility involved in feathering the throttle and having your butt tuned into what the tires are doing. It's a pretty fine line, I'm not sure.

So... beer gut drag racers... athletes? Hmm... there is agility involved in feathering the throttle and having your butt tuned into what the tires are doing. It's a pretty fine line, I'm not sure.

There are quite a few overweight athletes, look around the NFL, remember Butter Bean the boxer? sumo guys and how about the guys on the Strongest Man Competition. Even when these guys are not very lean they train their bodies and have skills at what they do, well, maybe not Butter bean, but you get my drift.

But it also requires a lot of skills and is competitive. where do you draw the line?

Golf is just like pool, IMO not a sport. They both lie somewhere between racing and poker. I would classify it like this:

Sports: *anything* ball (max physical prowess and max physical cooridination)
Sports: Racing (moderate physical prowess and max physical cooridination)
Activity: Golf/Pool/Darts (minimal physical prowess and max physical cooridination)
Game: Poker (no physical prowess and no physical cooridination)

What I ment about the drag racing thing, was that drag racing is barley racing. Yes, technically it is, and I challange anyone to come up with a defination that would seperate it from other types of racing (sorta like 100m and marathon racing can't be split up), but how the racing is executed and what the important factors are, and the general feel of the race, are so different from other forms of racing, its almost not racing. You know what I'm trying to say?

Yes, and I like your sport definition table also. See, I like to fish but I don't really think that is a sport also, I will put it in to the Activity column.

And as much as I don't really care for the sport, golf is still a sport. There's a whole lot of physical going on there, just not cardio or strength based.

Drag racing is bad enough.. how 'bout Mud bogs? Nail it thru the mud for 150 feet (or whatever) then you also have to come to a complete stop before the hay bails, which is why you have a 150' kill switch tied to your vehicle, so when you hit the other side, the kill switch is pulled, shutting down the motor.

There's a whole lot of physical going on there, just not cardio or strength based.

Where? Its called coordination. :) Example: Michelle Wei (sp) and John Daley. The only valid point (that I see) that you have is that a player must walk the course. Although, IMO, walking is transportation not a physical achievement (they don't even have to carry their bags).

FYI: I think this is a great debate :)

Isn't coordination a part of sport? Or are we equating it with being able to type fast?

There it is! The next Olympic event: Typing.

There it is! The next Olympic event: Typing.

In that case I am never qualifying, I only use 2 fingers from each hand to type.:D

I don't see golf as a sport either, more like an activity, I tried golf before and if does take coordination and skills but it is not like you end up raising your heart beat to be consired a cardio workout.

Isn't coordination a part of sport?

Exactly my point, it is part of a sport. But it alone does not justify being a sport. :) (IMO of course)

I tried golf before and if does take coordination and skills but it is not like you end up raising your heart beat to be consired a cardio workout.

you can always go swimming in the ponds :lol: OR go chase gophers :lol: :lol:

is bass fishing a sport???

I saw part of a clossing ceremony for a tournoment, they do the entrance to the stadium on their boats and go to a scale to weight the fish, they surprised me when the crowd went nuts as they anounced the final weight, kind of like the roar you hear when your team scores a touchdown on the superbowl. It was crazy. I bet those people think it is a sport. Bass fisherman can be very competitive also. Too much work for me too, casting all day long.

More of an activity for me also but I know a lot of people will desagree.

BTW, has anyone seen a NHRA top fuel, or NHRA funny car (fuel) in person?

They don't "go" down the track, they explode down the track. :shock:

I went to qualifying at National Trails in Columbus,OH.
I was on the fence (as close as you can get) near the starting line. After I saw the first car go, I really didn't think any other driver was going to make it down the track. On TV they look pretty stable, maybe a little bump or shake here or there, but in real life they are scary to watch. :badgrin: :eek: :badgrin:

Back